Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default AZ Permit Question

I searched the forum and read pages upon pages of info but I haven't been able to find an answer for this question.

Will my PA Act 235 cert with firearms work as the live fire training requirement for the AZ permit? I asked the AZ lady on the phone but she had no clue what PA Act 235 even was.

Default Re: AZ Permit Question

Probably. Here is a list of AZ's requirements.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pamedic View Post
    I asked the AZ lady on the phone but she had no clue what PA Act 235 even was.
    ask yourself why should she know about act 235? pennsylvania is big on all of these act things and the funny thing is that we are surprised when people outside of the state have no clue.

years ago a friend told me that he had gotten some act xxx approval and was floored that i had no idea what he was talking about. even if i lived in pennsylvania at the time i doubt that i would have known or cared.

not that ive kicked you in the balls. . .. did you explain that you were were certified by the state to carry a gun as an armed guard?

i would believe that act 235 certification should count since basic nra training counts. send a copy of your act 235 card along with a copy of what the training entails.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
    Great. Thank you!

(Butler County)

I'm thinking it will count. Besides a copy of your cert you might want to send a brief description of the training.

On a side note Arizona issued my permit with a copy of my Utah permit as proof of training. Utah live fire is optional. It was not even being offered in the class I took.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post

and there it is.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    and there it is.

Which brings us back to the OP's question.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    ask yourself why should she know about act 235? pennsylvania is big on all of these act things and the funny thing is that we are surprised when people outside of the state have no clue.

years ago a friend told me that he had gotten some act xxx approval and was floored that i had no idea what he was talking about. even if i lived in pennsylvania at the time i doubt that i would have known or cared.

not that ive kicked you in the balls. . .. did you explain that you were were certified by the state to carry a gun as an armed guard?

i would believe that act 235 certification should count since basic nra training counts. send a copy of your act 235 card along with a copy of what the training entails.
    If it is their job to approve carry permits, based on a specific set of regulations set forth
    by their state, I would hope they would be familiar with the types of firearms training that the state considers to meet the said requirements. Not that one person would know them all, but they should have some list of what counts and what doesn't.