Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default How to upgrade a Ruger Security-Six?

So, here's the deal. My father-in-law gave me an old Ruger Security-Six .357 Mag as a gift. He's a guy who doesn't have much except for his firearms.

So, to show my appreciation I promised I'd fix it up and eventually pass it to my son (2yrs-old) as his Grandfathers gun. I've given it a Hogue molded grip, but aside from that I'm at a loss on how to properly outfit the weapon.

I'm guessing an upgrade on sights, cylinder and hammer is in the mix, but as far as what parts, brand products, etc. I should use, I'm just not knowledgeable.

Any advice or ideas are seriously appreciated. I've got plenty of time, but just need good direction.

Thanks!

Mike

Talking Re: How to upgrade a Ruger Security-Six?

Quote Originally Posted by MTauss2000 View Post
    He's a guy who doesn't have much except for his firearms.
    Hehehe, me too. Well, I shouldn't exclude the Mrs.
    Last edited by harold63; October 15th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: How to upgrade a Ruger Security-Six?

What makes you think you need to do anything to it?

Personally, I'd be more thrilled to receive a functioning firearm in original condition that has been passed down, than one that has had the latest 'upgrades' applied every time a new generation receives it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I agree with the moderator. Don't do anything that you don't need to. Clean and oil it and call it a day.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

My favorite upgrade is buying a case of ammo. Go get a 1000 rounds of .38 special and shoot that fine machine. If you were carrying that revolver, I would suggest a front tritium sight and that is all. Buy ammo, not crappy accessories...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Excellent point. The only issue being he didn't take great care of it. Its fully functional, but wasn't cleaned and oiled much. Some corrosion. Front sight is dinged but rear adjustable is in good shape.

Maybe replace the sights, have the weapon newly coated and then strip, clean and oil everything including the firing mechanism?

I want to make it durable and accurate, and I want my son to be able to hand it to his son the same way.

(Erie County)

Contact Ruger, let them know what condition the revolver is in, and ask what it would cost for them to clean it up and re-blue it. When it's done by Ruger, it's done right, they replace all worn parts, and it comes back with a factory new finish on it.

The Security-Six is one of the best revolvers ever produced (and many wish it was still produced). Keep the revolver in it's original condition, and it will still be a nice revolver when your grandson passes it along to his son.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    Contact Ruger, let them know what condition the revolver is in, and ask what it would cost for them to clean it up and re-blue it. When it's done by Ruger, it's done right, they replace all worn parts, and it comes back with a factory new finish on it.

The Security-Six is one of the best revolvers ever produced (and many wish it was still produced). Keep the revolver in it's original condition, and it will still be a nice revolver when your grandson passes it along to his son.

This sounds like something worth looking into.
    Jules

(Susquehanna County)

Upgrade??!! Your hogue grips are just fine beyond that there's virtually nothing else needed! As long as it is in time and not out of spec for end-shake and other mechanical faults it is good to go as is. Just give it a nice cleaning and lube. If there are spots of rust that hasn't caused pitting just use a very fine (0000) steel wool to polish off the rust.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Upgrade??!! Your hogue grips are just fine beyond that there's virtually nothing else needed! As long as it is in time and not out of spec for end-shake and other mechanical faults it is good to go as is. Just give it a nice cleaning and lube. If there are spots of rust that hasn't caused pitting just use a very fine (0000) steel wool to polish off the rust.
    I have a very similar Ruger Speed Six, .357, four inch barrel. All I did was the Hogue grip, which made a huge difference in recoil absorbtion which allows me to shoot it longer. Other than that it's good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast