Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm or .45gap

Default 10mm or .45gap

I've got a 9mm, a .357sig, a .40 and .45 and I'm looking to add a new and odd flavor to my collection in the next few months and I'm thinking of going with either a 10mm or .45gap. What would be the pros and cons to these calibers? I know they're both not the easiest to find, but that doesn't really matter to me seeing as I can buy it on the Internet. Also, what pistols would you recommend in these calibers? So far all I've looked at is the Glock 20 and 37.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; October 15th, 2011 at 04:59 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 10mm or .45gap

Buy one of each, then your problem is solved!

Both ammo choices about the same cost wise to shoot. I can attest to 10mm not being easy to find locally. I use to have to hit every local Gun Shop just have enough to go to the range (that's why I started reloading).

I'm partial to the 10mm and own both the G29 (which I carry daily) and G20. There is a wide selection of ammo from 100gr to 230gr to loaded from mild to "hot" available for the 10mm. There are also numerous other firearm choices in 10mm including S&W (both revolvers and a semi auto), Colt Delta Elite, Dan Wesson, EAA, and Kimber to name a few.

As for the .45 GAP, Springfield and Para made them but my understanding both disco'ed them. There is a narrower selection of ammo available for the .45 GAP.
    G20 & G29 Member NRA; Life Member North American Fishing Club

(Butler County)

Lots of odd balls out there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges
    Stuff I've never heard of. Heck there's 16 different 9mm's

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: 10mm or .45gap

i like the 10 myself. the 45 gap won,t be any different than shooting the std. 45. however the 10 will put some zip in you shooting. if you reload the 10 is much more versatile.

(Lycoming County)

Personally, I like the 10 better for the reasons Red Dog stated.

What about the FN Five-seveN?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...fn-five-seven/

You are looking for an unusual caliber and this would fit the bill!

Just a thought ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

How about something really different - a revolver and a rimmed cartridge? .44 Spl / .44 Mag / .45 Colt / .41 Mag / the ubiquitous .357 Mag. Or, a revolver chambered for a semi-auto round like the S&W 625 for .45 ACP, or the 610 for .10mm (also shoots .40 S&W), or the 940 for 9mm, or the 646 for .40 S&W. This could open whole new vistas for you. Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    I've got a 9mm, a .357sig, a .40 and .45 and I'm looking to add a new and odd flavor to my collection in the next few months and I'm thinking of going with either a 10mm or .45gap. What would be the pros and cons to these calibers? I know they're both not the easiest to find, but that doesn't really matter to me seeing as I can buy it on the Internet. Also, what pistols would you recommend in these calibers? So far all I've looked at is the Glock 20 and 37.
    Sounds to me like you get too much $$$ on your hands. I'm going to get my address to you and help you out with this little problem.

On the real side, it sounds like you need an AR type rifle, or one of the high cap, semi HD SG's. The AR is more versatile and wicked fun to shoot at distance without aid of any kind. Great way to develop a new skill, and have a good zombie weapon at the same time. If you already this weapon, then I would definitely go with 10mm. It is a round that will get more plentiful as more and more people are buying that caliber. A lot of guys in Charlotte Co here where I live carry a G20. I would rather have a Colt DE, one of the newer built models. A longslide 1911 in 10mm makes me giddy just thinking about it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

There's no comparison between the two. They each require a different platform, both do different things.

Do you have medium size hands and not know if you want a big or small frame pistol?

My guess at your dilemma is that Pizza Bob's advice fits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    10mm, FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Sounds to me like you get too much $$$ on your hands. I'm going to get my address to you and help you out with this little problem.

On the real side, it sounds like you need an AR type rifle, or one of the high cap, semi HD SG's. The AR is more versatile and wicked fun to shoot at distance without aid of any kind. Great way to develop a new skill, and have a good zombie weapon at the same time. If you already this weapon, then I would definitely go with 10mm. It is a round that will get more plentiful as more and more people are buying that caliber. A lot of guys in Charlotte Co here where I live carry a G20. I would rather have a Colt DE, one of the newer built models. A longslide 1911 in 10mm makes me giddy just thinking about it.
    A 10mm 1911?? That sounds sexy. I'm going to look into this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast