Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Question Sig discontinuing the DAK?

I called my LGS to get their price on a P226 E2 9mm with DAK. This was after I called Sig customer service and asked if this configuration was available. My LGS said the distributor said they were getting rid of the DAK for the SRT. This did not make any sense to me at all and I can find nothing online about it. The SRT is for the DA/SA anyway.

The Sig rep told me that they have moved the DAK to LEO only designation and that the E2 grip is standard. That all sounds just fine.

I am looking at the DAK vs. LEM. I am thinking of selling one of my Glocks as I do not own a Sig or HK yet and I really like the idea of of a longer pull if my wife and kids are going to use the gun. Oh, and i completely blame this need for an HK and/or Sig on the never ending "best 9mm pistol" thread.

Anyone hear about the DAK being discontinued? It is too late today to call Sig back and not sure if they would actually tell me. I guess I could find one currently available, but I want to get pricing and compare with the HK P30.

thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig discontinuing the DAK?

Unlikely, and as you point out, SRT and DAK aren't at all the same thing. I just took a quick look over in sigforum.com and didn't find any discussion about it. You can be pretty sure there would be a LOT of discussion about it over there if it were happening.

I'd also have to come down on the "unlikely" side of this question. The DAK system is unique and as such is a great differentiation factor from other DAO firearms in the market place. What your LGS may have run into is that it seems that Sig is purging their line of a lot of model variations, among them the old SAS series, which were two-tone, wood-gripped models made exclusively with the DAK action. A lot of LGS's may not even be aware that the DAK trigger is available on standard models.

Where you and Sig parted ways was the request for DAK and the E2 model. They still list a P226 DAK, but in standard grip configuration only. I don't know if there is a prohibiting mechanical factor for conversion to the E2 configuration. If blindref happens along he could probably tell us.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: If your reason for wanting a DAK is as stated: "...I really like the idea of of a longer pull if my wife and kids are going to use the gun...", the standard DA/SA models also have a long heavy pull on the first shot. The DAK is a system that requires practice and the building of muscle memory.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Sig discontinuing the DAK?

Thanks for the replies - good information. You are probably correct on the LGS confusion. Sig has gone a little batty with all the configurations. I need to handle the E2 to make sure it is the grip I want. I do think they make a whole kit that should fit 2005+ 226's. Looks to be pretty reasonable too.

DAK for wife and kids - The one thing I really like with this trigger is that the pull is smooth and long, but not heavy. My wife has not been a fan of the first heavy DA pull on other guns. She is OK with my CM9,Smith revolvers, and G34 (I know not DA really, and she does not like the G19 at all), but not the DA/SA CZ75. I have mentioned that she needs to just buck up and get some extra exercise and finger strength. That is typically met by her showing me one of her fingers!

It would take practice to use the short reset, but i envision using it like a DAO.

As long as there is no rush to get a DAK, I can take my time and try out the P30 LEM also. I do like that i can get the 22lr top for the p226.

The bad thing is that these are not cheap. I have been looking longingly at my stable thinking who can be sacrificed. It may be my G19.....just because I could probably get one later and I would like a OD green one to match my G34 anyway.

(Allegheny County)

I heard at a local Cop-Shop that SIG is going to limit DAK packages to just Law Enforcement sales for the better part of 2012. Not sure why or if this is 100% accurate. This would suck since I think DAK is probably one of their best triggers going right now next to traditional DA/SA. Again, might just be a rumor, but it seems to be circulating....and SIG has been doing some weird stuff lately...

(Lancaster County)

I saw a 229r 9mm dak with the E2 grip today.
    It was a cpo(certified pre owned).

The thing I liked the best about my 229 was the DA/SA action. Just sayin.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ado-aim View Post
    As long as there is no rush to get a DAK, I can take my time and try out the P30 LEM also. I do like that i can get the 22lr top for the p226.
    I say this with all seriousness, don't let your wife handle the P30 if you are not really considering purchasing it. This is the pistol that took my wife off of the G23, and she had been wanting the G23 for some time. I did not have to convince her, at all. She simply, finally got a chance to compare them side by side. I'm not knocking the G23, at all. I would carry one. The P30 on the other hand stinks of a quality, precision built, pistol, with a great trigger, right out of the box. JMHO.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I say this with all seriousness, don't let your wife handle the P30 if you are not really considering purchasing it. This is the pistol that took my wife off of the G23, and she had been wanting the G23 for some time. I did not have to convince her, at all. She simply, finally got a chance to compare them side by side. I'm not knocking the G23, at all. I would carry one. The P30 on the other hand stinks of a quality, precision built, pistol, with a great trigger, right out of the box. JMHO.
    Which trigger did you get? Actually if my wife likes a gun, I will scrimp and save to get it! Anything that makes it more likely that she will go shooting. I have heard great things about the P30, so it would not make sense to get the 226 before checking out the H&K.