Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default time for laser sights?

Just got back from Lenscrafters with slightly stronger prescription glasses. I'm loosing some distance vision as I approach 60. Not only did I get new regular glasses but I got two pairs of prescription safety glasses, one for indoor shooting and one with a tint for outdoors.

First thing I do when I get home is sight down my M&P to see how things look. I can no longer see the white dots on the sights and if I get into a dark area I have trouble picking up the front blade. Time for laser sights or are there other solutions I should investigate?

At least the AR front sight is visible but blurry.

(York County)

Default Re: time for laser sights?

I am a big laser fan, have them on 4 of my pistols, I would stick with Crimson trace for a laser sight.

Another option is XS Big dot's.http://xssights.com/
    Here is a pic of my Glock 26 with them on. I took this photo for another forum I am on where the guy was having trouble seeing his sight's as well...That is a standard pencil eraser beside it for size comparison.

Trijicon just came out with a new H.D. sight that also may be interesting to you.
    I may try these next on my XDM.
    http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produc...t1.php?id=HDNS

Any of, or combination of the above should be a big help to you.

I feel your pain. They are trying to get me into bi focals as I get single vision and seeing down range is all I consider with my prescription. I either have to put the newspaper against my eyeball to read it or I have to take it to the end of my driveway and tape it to my mailbox. I am not seeing in the dark as well as I used to, but I have upped my vitamin intake that they claim helps with vision and it has gotten better over the past couple of months. As far as the laser goes, if you can see it better, then go for it. Once yo get it sighted in, the bullet it going to go where you have it pointed until it gets past 50yds or so where it will start dropping off at a pretty good clip. Something I have tried recently is a flashlight with night sights. Not on my guns, but a friend's. It was a good setup and we actually did it in one of his bedrooms that had no windows. I liked that set up.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

I should add that I'm left handed so my thumb covers some of the grip type lasers.

(Bucks County)

I hear ya fella's on the eye issues .. Can't see close up anymore .. They got me a pair of bifocals that I can't even use at the range .. They are worthless .. What I do is bring my reading glass's and they seem to work well .. It's hard losing some of our sight .. I has 20/20 vision .. After age 40 it started going down hill .. The eye doc said most everyone goes thur it ..

Good luck with the new eyewear

Brian

If I remember correctly, Valorious has a pic posted somewhere of one of his rigs with a light and a laser. That is also something I would like to try.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I second the recommendation for XS big dots. Whether your vision is naturally blurry or you just got rocked and now have to fight, these are the easiest sights to see and the fastest sights picture in the world.

This isn't a recommendation against a laser. I don't run them myself, but it you're going to put a breakable, battery powered device on your gun, you might as well put these on as well.

(Franklin County)

Im in the same boat. I went to the range a few months ago, for the first time since getting bi-focals. I couldnt focus on the front sight for anything. I was trying to sight through the upper part of my lens, turns out I need to use the lower bi-focal section of my lens so the front sight stays in focus. Its a very unnatural shooting position with my head tilted back but it is easier to keep the front sight clear. The target is very fuzzy though, not sure what to do about that.
    I do have a CTC for my LCP. I tried shooting with it a couple of times and I didnt like it at all, I actually took it off and Im carrying it without the CTC now. Im not sure If Im going to give the CTC another try, I probably should as it cost me some $$$$ to have it.

(Franklin County)

Got the same problem. I have a lazer/flashlight on my cz , which I keep by the be for special occasions. But my hunting pistols Which I prefer open sights on, I have allot of trouble seeing. My taurus 357 I have sighted in (with open sights ) at 75 yards. When I could see better. Now it's much harder. On my defense gun. I am very happy with the lazer/flashlight combo that I recently put on. I took it to the range and tryed it on the 30 yards range and it was very accurate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In God We Trust............................

Quote Originally Posted by tabasco_joe View Post
    Just got back from Lenscrafters with slightly stronger prescription glasses. I'm loosing some distance vision as I approach 60. Not only did I get new regular glasses but I got two pairs of prescription safety glasses, one for indoor shooting and one with a tint for outdoors.

First thing I do when I get home is sight down my M&P to see how things look. I can no longer see the white dots on the sights and if I get into a dark area I have trouble picking up the front blade. Time for laser sights or are there other solutions I should investigate?

At least the AR front sight is visible but blurry.
    Crimson trace is IMO the best laser on the market because they're pressure activated without any external wires. Very, very good units, i've used them on several platforms, and have one on my Ruger LCP now.

If you like a green laser, the Viridian series of lasers or combo light/lasers are absolutely top notch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast