Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I know the law about dogs attacking deer but what about deer attacking dogs?

Just had a weird situation happen here. Took out our Rottie for the 'evening constitutional' ... she went out the door and did #1 and then walked a bit before she squatted for #2.

Just as she squatted for #2 a herd of deer ran through the property and one doe stopped and stared at the dog. The dog didn't move a muscle (she was kind of busy) but the doe advanced towards the dog, snorting and stomping the whole time.

Gotta say Shelby (our Rottie) did well, she could care less about the advancing doe, she just wanted to do what she had to do but as the doe advanced I yelled at her and even threw a stick at her and NOTHING stopped her.

She (the doe) came within 3' of our dog before Shelby finally headed in.

So my question is this ... I know by law you can kill a dog that is attacking a deer but what about the reverse? If this doe had attacked my dog would I have been okay to grab the 1911 and shoot her (more than likely shoot at her)?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: I know the law about dogs attacking deer but what about deer attacking dogs?

I would think that it would be like any other wild animal attack. In fear of life or serious injury to your dog, so I think you'd be good to go. However Game Commission may feel otherwise.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: I know the law about dogs attacking deer but what about deer attacking dogs?

All I have to say is, you better video tape the entire thing or you're gonna have a real tough sell to the GC that it actually happened the way you said.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    I would think that it would be like any other wild animal attack. In fear of life or serious injury to your dog, so I think you'd be good to go. However Game Commission may feel otherwise.
    Well there'as the question .. my dog (as docile as they come) just wanted to do her business ... but MAN that doe was pissed off.

Never and I do mean NEVER see a deer that aggressive, but that seems to be the norm around here lately ... guess I need to talk to the game commission cause I will be DAMNED if I allow a deer to attack my dog!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    guess I need to talk to the game commission cause I will be DAMNED if I allow a deer to attack my dog!
    Just think about the damage to your dogs ego by getting beat up by a little doe. You might have to take him to the doggie psychiatrist.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Perry County)

Like most things, it would depend on how you explained it to the WCO. A few bumps and bruises on your dog to help corroborate your story would help make your case as well. If you can shoot an aggressive dog on your property then shooting an aggressive deer should be less of an issue.

I had a dog owner call me because his dog had been shot by a neighbor. When it was all said and done, his dog was on the neighbor's property attacking their dog. He was extremely unhappy that I wouldn't do anything. I offered to cite him for confinement of dogs if that would make him feel better. He didn't like that either. You just can't please some people.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...g-right-for-us

(Lancaster County)

I had a for do this to me once. Snorted, stomped, charged, but always stopped short of actual contact. She was with a yearling. Interesting to experience, but I was never really frightened, as my rifle was in my lap. It lasted about 10 minutes. I assume it is a territorial/protective response.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Like most things, it would depend on how you explained it to the WCO. A few bumps and bruises on your dog to help corroborate your story would help make your case as well. If you can shoot an aggressive dog on your property then shooting an aggressive deer should be less of an issue.
    Psh, you don't even need to be on your property to shoot an aggressive dog. The dog doesn't even need to be loose/not in the presence of its owner. The dog doesn't even need to have attacked anyone to be justified in shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Title 3, Chapter 8, Article V § 459-501 Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances
    (a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.

(c) Licensed dogs not included.--Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post

So my question is this ... I know by law you can kill a dog that is attacking a deer but what about the reverse? If this doe had attacked my dog would I have been okay to grab the 1911 and shoot her (more than likely shoot at her)?
    One good turn deserves another!
    An eye for an eye!
    A Doe for a Dog!

I would bet on yes that you would be ok.

IANAL
    Last edited by Daycrawler; October 14th, 2011 at 01:15 AM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

U sure it was a does and not a button Buck?

Button bucks are full of it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast