Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had an idea

(Franklin County)

Default I had an idea

When I was up at the courthouse getting my CCL updated last month, the guy in front of me in line was just getting his. He was asking the lady at the counter (who seemed pretty pro-CCW, but was not aware of the laws) where it was ok to carry and not to carry. She responded with
    "It's pretty much common sense where you shouldn't carry, like a bank".
    Then she went on about how you can't carry in MD if you go to WV or VA. That you have to seperate the ammo and gun. But said nothing about locking it in the trunk.
    I had to intervene at this point which I said "By law in PA you can't carry in a courthouse, school and state park. Thats it. In Maryland if you drive thru, your best bet is to unload your gun, clip, seperate both, and lock your gun in the trunk or out of reach".

Afterwards the guy and I chatted for a bit outside about laws and such. Well today I was thinking about that, and it had me so flustered that this lady was giving out inacurate (not wrong, just not complete) info that I figured I should do something about it. I want to make a flyer with basic rules and regulations about whats off limits, how to drive thru MD to get to WV and VA. I'd explain what states have reciprocal agreements with PA, and general common sense guidelines about carrying in PA. I'd also add websites such as hangunlaws.us, carryconcealed.net, pafoa.org and DC.com. Then I would leave a stack of these flyers at the counter for people to take. Does any think this would be a good idea, and secondly does anyone think the sheriffs office would go thru with this?
    Last edited by Pro2A; January 20th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: I had an idea

Try calling the IRS for tax advice. They're wrong more than 50% of the time.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: I had an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    ...In Maryland if you drive thru, your best bet is to unload your gun, clip, seperate both, and lock your gun in the trunk or out of reach".
    CLIP ALERT!!!

Where's our new moderator at?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    CLIP ALERT!!!
    Boo!!!! (to DaveM55)

Or you could print out the gun rights flyer from the sticky on the concealed carry section of the forum.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html
    FUCK BIDEN

(Westmoreland County)

CLIP ALERT!!!

I think he is at the GUN SHOW today????

What's up with that? Already Slacking on the JOB EM?

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Or you could print out the gun rights flyer from the sticky on the concealed carry section of the forum.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html
    It would be nice to see a very easy to read. Very simply put. Flyer with the Rules and Regulations on it. Not written in Leagalize, but in plain ole English ( or maybe spanish since we seem to be going that way )

Keep is simple and easy to read is the key. The only complaint I have about PaPatriots flyer is that it is a bit confusing, and I understand the laws. Someone who has no idea about them, will be totally lost unless they really sit down and read it. People don't do that. They skim thru looking for info that catches thier eye.

Could list states with Recipricosity(spelling??) and explain what that means.

Could explain what to do in the states that we don't have ...... that "R" word up above.

Explain about Courthouses, Schools, and State Parks. Explain that bars and banks are not in this catagory as most believe.

Explain the Private Porperty Factor for carrying in stores and others property. Not illegal, till your asked to leave.

Not an overload of info. Just the important stuff. And again. KISS.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

CLIP ALERT!!!

I think PAFOA should buy Emptymag a Blackberry like Doug has so he can monitor this stuff even when he isn't at home. He could bring the hammer down even while at a gunshow.

Where are the Clip Police when you need them.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    The only complaint I have about PaPatriots flyer is that it is a bit confusing, and I understand the laws. Someone who has no idea about them, will be totally lost unless they really sit down and read it. People don't do that. They skim thru looking for info that catches thier eye.
    Hmm. I thought it was easy to read. That was the intent anyway
    Maybe it's the way your reading it?
    When you open the flyer, the "plain english stuff is on one side and the statues to ref and back-up what is stated on the front side are printed all together on the back side. Most people aren't interested int he "legal" side, but ommitting that makes the flyer about as reliable as any other hearsay. So it's there for validity purposes.

IOW. open it all the way up!. Side 1 = plain english. Side 2 = Legal.

Could list states with Recipricosity(spelling??) and explain what that means.
    It's already in there, on the plain english side.

Explain about Courthouses, Schools, and State Parks. Explain that bars and banks are not in this catagory as most believe.
    Prohibited list is in there, again on the plain english side.
    I even made a special mention that cc/oc is legal in places that serve alcohol although that's not needed with the "prhibited places" listed out.

Explain the Private Porperty Factor for carrying in stores and others property. Not illegal, till your asked to leave.
    Good suggestion. I have been wanting to do this and will see if I can find the "room" for it in the next revision.

Not an overload of info. Just the important stuff. And again. KISS.
    That was my intent. Any suggestions on how to better do this feel free to throw them my way

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Welcome to the boards pro2a. It's cool that you know the laws better than the court employees. That seems to be the case around here that we know the rules better than the courts, and leo's. it's a shame. Oh some people around here can be ballbusters about using the word "clip" all in good fun. welcome to the boards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast