Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Opinions on XD 45

I'm kind of leaning toward getting an XD-45. I have only heard good things about them. Opinions here?
    I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bric2000
    I'm kind of leaning toward getting an XD-45. I have only heard good things about them. Opinions here?
    A springfield xd 9 subcompact was my first gun and I still love it. I held the new XD45 so my only experience with it was "Damn, this is a big gun."
    Last edited by danp; April 11th, 2006 at 09:03 AM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bric2000
    I know it's on my list. Everything I've heard about them is good too. What could be bad about 14 rounds of 45acp in a small and managable package? I've handled one, but not shot it yet. A friend of mine picked one up, and as soon as the opportunity presents itself, I'll get to pop off a few mags. Maybe someone here's already got first hand experiences, and will share them.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp
    A springfield xd 9 subcompact was my first gun and I still love it. I held the new XD45 so my only experience with it was "Damn, this is a big fucking gun."
    Compared to a subcompact, I guess. Generally though, I don't think the xd45 is that big at all. It is slightly larger than my G30, but what would you expect with 4 extra rounds.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by starblazer
    Compared to a subcompact, I guess. Generally though, I don't think the xd45 is that big at all. It is slightly larger than my G30, but what would you expect with 4 extra rounds.
    Well, at that time I was carrying a G22 (full-size) and it still seemed big!
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Montgomery County)

I just got the 5" model XD45.
    I had shot the 4" and liked it alot, havent got to the range with the 5" yet however.

I've never been a fan of Glock pistols, tho I *DO* own a G17 2nd gen as a beater 9mm.

Big plus: the grip is comfortable, and feels 1911-ish

the G21, and G22, and Paras always were too large for me to comfortably shoot and hold, but the XD has the perfect grip angle for a natural point, an Ambi mag release, and comes as a package with a loader, double mag pouch and a holster.

I'm a big guy, if you can hide a 1911 or a HK USP45, you can tote and hide a XD45
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Philadelphia County)

Shot one mag-full from a friend's. The first time I had handled any of the XD models. Very, very easy to hit with (I'm not that good!) and also manages recoil of the .45 very well. My taste, as far as what I want to own, is limited, so I doubt I'd buy one, but I consider them to be a great deal.
    Be Safe,
    Jim

(Delaware County)

I thought the grip was too small (I wear a size large glove, FWIW) and trigger felt heavy. Other than that, seemed to be a good pistol. If there was a Crimson Trace laser grip for it to add grip diameter, like the Glocks, I'd consider buying one and getting a trigger job done.

I'm frickin' in love with my G21, so I may be a little biased.

(Philadelphia County)

A guy at the range today had an XD45 and he let me fire it. It shot very well; pointed great, accurate and very manageable recoil. I found the trigger to be very good, better than my G19. The pull was lighter and felt very smooth.

The grip is obviously slimmer and differently shaped than the G21 but I still found it somewhat awkward. I have bigs hands (can easily palm a basketball) so its not that either are necessarily too big. I just don't like how boxy and square they feel. Of the two, the XD seems better because of the grip angle and the absence of that damn Glock hump.

The XD grip is very long, moreso than any gun I've held. Grip length is the biggest factor in concealement for me, so being ultra discrete ain't happening, although thats pretty much the case w/ every full size piece.

Neither gun is a priority item for me now, but if I had to choose...I really don't know. There are many things I don't like about Glocks, but the fact is they shoot so well and I trust them so much that I'm willing to overlook the negative aspects. The XD seems like a great gun though. If you like how it feels, I'm sure it would be an excellent choice.

(Bucks County)

I'm using mine for a fannypack gun this summer, while fishing and hiking. It's replaced a S&W 325PD revolver, and I'm still up in the air on deciding if the additional weight is worth the 8 extra shots.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast