Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I recently picked one up..

Two weeks ago I got my first gun, a 5'' tactical X-45

I took it to the range a few times and I love it. (Its the first gun I actually own, but I've been shooting since Im little.)

I love it, this is the first .45 that I can put several hundred rounds through in one sitting and not have my hand hurt a bit the next day. Love the trigger, accuracy and feel of the gun.

I've been browsing these forums and you guys seem to be big fans of Philla Archery and Gun range in South Philla. Im two blocks away and go there regularly (im thinking of getting a membership next time they have a special).

I would love to shoot differnet subcompact guns to see what I want for a carry gun. If any of you guys want to meet at the range and try mine (and you can bring your own subcompacts for me to try) I'd be more than willing to do it.

Shoot me an email or an instant message.

XD's are nice pistols....too bad SA got ahold of them and doubled the asking prices compared to the HS2000. I like the XD triggers out of the box compared to Glocks. My only concern is the finish on the XD's...I hear some have rust issues. The XD 45 is a nice pistol because of the magazine capacity. The cheapest XD 45 I have seen was $485 NIB.

I own an XD .45 ACP Tactical model that has the 5" barrel. I got it as a graduation gift from college 4 days ago. All I can say is that I really do love the pistol, it's amazing. I'm not the biggest pistol shooter, I mostly do long range shooting with rifles, but I really enjoy the pistol. The recoil on it isn't bad at all, since some people would worry about that. I've put about 250 rounds through it, and have never had any sort of malfunction or problem with the slide.

My best friend's father who own at least 20 pistols was very impressed with the gun as well. He said that he could not believe how slim the grip was for a double stacked magazine. I haven't had a chance to test the gun out on paper, but right now out of the box, it shoots pretty well at the targets I've set up. Just like the manual says, it shoots point of aim at around 25 to 30 yards, and uses a 6 o'clock sight picture closer. Since mine is the tactical version, it's actually a big "bigger" than the other models, but I still don't feel like it's too big. The gun is very light for it's size, and wasn't bad to carry at all in the holster.

The trigger is nice from my experience, for stock, but I do think that I will eventually have it worked on. I plan on putting about a 4# trigger pull on it, and having the overtravel removed. Since I haven't been to the range yet, I believe the gun already shoots 2" or less groups at 25 yards like springfield says, but I think I'll be able to shoot even tighter after the trigger job. Please remember that I'm new to pistol shooting, so my form isn't that perfect, and I have caught myself pulling shots slightly due to the trigger pull. Either way, the pistol definately does its job, I just have to learn how to do mine.

In reference to the finish comments, I'll tell you what I've read and experienced. Since I just got my XD .45, I haven't had the chance to experience rust problems yet. I will say that the finish isn't the most resilient, I had one of the brads on my jeans put some light scratching on the slide from putting it in the supplied holster and walking around with it. I will say there is no wear yet on it though, after 250 rounds, which did surprise me. I've heard that the finish is different from what they use on the glock's and isn't as rugged, but I believe like any gun, if you carry one, you will wear the finish off eventually. Hope that helps you out, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

(Cumberland County)

I've been shooting Glock for so long that the XD seems bore high in my hand. The .40 I shot recoiled more than my G31 with a G22 barrel. I just could not get used to it even after about 200 rounds.

They do seem well built, just not well built for me.
    Do not worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about the buckshot addressed, "To whom it may concern"

(Bucks County)

Default Bi-toned XD45

The gun shop/range had a bi-toned XD45 in the case this past Sunday and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it. If it is there this week-end...I should be so lucky. It felt good in the hand, just a bit larger than the XD40. I have only heard good things about them, as the previous posts explain...Mike45

(Berks County)

Default How does it compare to the M&P?

Can anyone comment on the difference between the the XD 45ACP and the new Smith and Wesson M&P?

Understanding they're different calibers, any comments on comparisons of grip length, grip angle, "feel" in the hand, recoil, FTEs/FTFs, etc. would be great. I'm also a southpaw, so any comments from lefties on how these guns' ambidextrous features actually suit left-handed shooters would be great.

Aside from my brief departure into looking at impractical 357 magnum semi-autos (of which there aren't many), I'm looking at buying one of the following:

1. XD 9
    2. XD 45ACP
    3. M&P 40
    4. M&P 9

Supposedly, S&W is going to have an M&P in 45ACP, but I don't think I want to wait for it to come out, as no one seems to know exactly when it's going to happen.

Although slightly off-topic, I figured I'd post here since the XD 45 discussion was already started. If everyone thinks this should be a different thread, however, let me know and I'll create one.

Thanks!

I actually haven't shot the SW M&P, but from the looks of it I can tell you a couple of differences in the pistols. Obviously the M&P has quite a bit larger horn on the handle, it's more the style of an original 1911, the XD is considered "dehorned". The grips seem to be about the same length, although I can't quite tell you what their width differences might be. I know on the XD, the magazine release is truly ambidextrous. Instead of having a release for a lefty that just activates what normally is for a right handed person, it has it's own independent release, it's very nice. I know on the XD, the slide release is only on the left side of the gun, which means there isn't a release for a lefty. I'm not sure what it's like on the M&P. The M&P does not have the grip safety that the XD has. On the XD it's quite a handy feature because it doesn't allow the slide to move unless it is depressed. This comes in very handy when you're thinking in terms of carry, even in the glock, if you displace the slide while holstering; the gun will NOT fire no matter what. Springfield solved this problem with the grip safety. I know also that the springfield's firing pin won't be released from the block unless the grip safety is depressed, which supposedly makes it impossible to slamfire.

I personally don't like 9mm, so I never considered the XD 9, I would recommend the XD 40 if you prefer a faster smaller caliber. I do own an XD 45, which I do love. Also, I can't quite verify this, but the M&P appears to have the bore sit a bit higher than the XD. The XD sits what I'd call "medium low", not quite as long as a glock, so I believe it points more natural than a glock. I'd recommend going to the gunstore and shooting all the guns you like, even if you buy them somewhere else, so you can feel them out. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions or would like some more detailed of the pistol.

(Bucks County)

Default F Y I...

ChamberedRound, thought you might like to hear that the Middletown Township Police Force in Bucks County is replacing whatever their force carries now with the M&P 40. That's says something for the M&P 40...Mike 45

(Bucks County)

I too am looking seriously at the XD .45 ACP with a 4" barrel.

So far have not heard any negative comments. From what I heard the finish on other XD models may be a issue but for the new .45 ACP models "according to Springfield Armory, the finish is Melonite, which is just another trade name for tennifer, so it is same as the Glock finish".

I had heard bad things about the finish on the XD also Mike. My friend has the XD 40, in 40 S&W, and after just 50 rounds the bluing on the top of the action was already silver. I own the .45 ACP tactical and I've now put about 600 rounds through it and am barely starting to see any wear on the action. Just like any good tight action, there will be wear on it eventually, and I'm starting to see the blueing thin a bit on it, which means eventually it'll be silver, but I was very surprised to how well the finish is holding up.

The other day I was on a dirt bike and had my 45 in the holster. I didn't realize that from how I was sitting, a brad on my pants was touching the slide of the gun. It did slightly mark it since I was riding for 30 minutes looking for rattlesnakes. I'm not sure if it would have also done this to any other type of finish on a gun, I'm guessing it would, but I did want to mention that it did slightly mark it. So that any other XD users that get the carry package can note.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast