Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Easiest semi to rack?

Here's my problem. I have bad tendinitis in my left wrist(can't use my right hand either). It is very painful for me to rack a semi, so I only have revolvers. Lately, the revolvers widths have been bothering me when cc. Does anyone know of a semi that is easy to rack and small enough to cc? I tried some .380s, but they were too small for my big sore wrist and hand.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Easiest semi to rack?

G19 or G17 3rd generation (4th gen has double recoil spring)

9mm GLOCKS are famously oversprung as well, so if its still rough you can replace the recoil spring with a lighter aftermarket spring and rod and still be reliable (function test).

Hk P30

Stay away from the CZ (small slide surface area) and XD (double recoil spring)

I have no input on the M&P

(Bucks County)

I think the smaller pistols are almost always harder to rack than the larger ones. That's probably because they need a stiffer spring to absorb the recoil since there is less mass in the slide.

My Glock 19 is pretty easy to rack, and conceals very well for me. Although mine is a 3rd gen and they redesigned the recoil spring for the 4th gen. I don't know if that change affected how hard it is to rack the slide or not, since I've never handled a 4th gen.

Some grip tape on the slide might help.

Beretta model 86 tip up .380 for the win. No competition.

No slide racking required.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post

The 84 and 85 are also pretty easy to rack, but not as easy as a 92. But it sounds like a 92 would be a bit large for the op.

Although I don't like them the Walther Pk380 is easy to rack as well.

ETA; You could always get an Uzi.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

Good idea, although you still might need to rack the slide in some situations. Clear a malfunction, reload after slide fails to lock back, etc. That would only really help for when you initially load your weapon in the morning.

On a side note, I saw that you posted in this thread, and thought for sure you would recommend the FN Five Seven.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Easiest semi to rack?

don,t forget guys technique can play a roll in this problem as well. a suggestion that has worked well for many a lady friend with little hand and arm strength. hold the gun in your strong hand grasp the slide with your weak hand. instead of pulling slide back try pushing the frame forward with your strong hand while holding the slide stationary with your weak hand. as the slide reaches it,s full range of motion keep pushing and the slide will pull free from your weak hand and chamber a round. now keep in mind strong hand, weak hand is not referring to hand strength but to your dominate( the hand you normally hold you gun in) and your other hand. good luck, red dog. ps i also ditto the glock suggestions. the glock slide is larger than some and if you stay with the full size or compact size guns you should be ok. g17, g19, g22, g23.

(Berks County)

You already good with revolvers, why not try a Ruger LCR - it's light weight, not to wide, no racking required, and the XS dot sight option is nice. It's much easier to conceal than my G19, and probably easier than most other semis other than the real small .380's.

456 - +1 on the Beretta 86 tip up barrel in .380, no problem for a small woman or old injured man.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Good idea, although you still might need to rack the slide in some situations. Clear a malfunction, reload after slide fails to lock back, etc. That would only really help for when you initially load your weapon in the morning.

On a side note, I saw that you posted in this thread, and thought for sure you would recommend the FN Five Seven.
    The Five Seven is also very easy to rack, but the 86 doesn't need to be racked at all. These are top notch highly reliable pistols that pretty much dont jam ever.

It may only be a .380, however with it's 4" barrel the Beretta 80 series pistols generate a heck of a lot more velocity and wallop with .380 ammo than most other .380s do with their short barrels. With hot .380+P Buffalo Bore ammo it can equal the power level of a 9mm subcompact firing standard pressure 9mm ammo, yet recoils quite tamely due to it's fairly large size.
    Last edited by Valorius; November 9th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast