Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Exclamation Silencers, the NFA, and You.

EVEERYONE: there is currently a petition to rid silencers from the NFA, and the $200 tax on cans. whithouse.gov. go to the petition section, you need to create an account. the petition currently has 305+/- sigs. 5000 is needed. Share this. Sign this.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...s-act/6hm2ByPv

Their is also a petition to rid of the 1986 Hughes Amendment (machine gun ban) https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...d-nfa/FWXhjh9s

this is another one to get sbr's and such off the nfa https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...s-act/Zc2GTB4c
    Last edited by coppery; October 12th, 2011 at 08:11 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Silencers, the NFA, and You.

Could this be a way to gather a list of dissidents?
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

Makes sense. There are a lot of countries where silencers are treated no different than any other form of hearing protection.

(Allegheny County)

Must you put your whole name - i noticed the petition last names only have an initial - did the petitioners leave it out or is it cut out for privacy online?

(Montgomery County)

The petition leaves it out for your privacy. You only disclose your full name on the sign up process, it will not show on the signature page.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    The petition leaves it out for your privacy. You only disclose your full name on the sign up process, it will not show on the signature page.
    Yeah, they don't want to leak that "Kill List" that's been in the news lately to the public. It would be a little obvious if everybody that signed was hit by drones over the next few weeks.

Rational people know that silencers go on guns for the same reason that mufflers go on cars, and workers wear earmuffs around unavoidably noisy machinery. "Why would you want to reduce the sound level of gunfire that damages unprotected hearing and annoys the neighbors?" is a question that's too silly to ask.

That being said, there is no way that any Senator or Representative would put his name on a bill to put silencers in every WalMart, and it would take legislation to repeal that part of the NFA. Silencers are statutorily defined as NFA firearms, that can't be undone by executive order or new regulations by ATF.

The vast majority of Americans associate silencers with assassins and the Mafia, and nothing else. It would be political suicide to sponsor such a bill, and it would never be enacted.

Pushing this legislation would be like making a point of using the word "*****rdly" in all your speeches. Yes, it's a race-neutral word that has a perfectly acceptable meaning. But when's the last time that a candidate used it in public?

Lots of dangerous things lack that self-announcing feature. What's the sound of a propane leak from 50 yards away? What noise does an axe make before it hits a skull? Should bells be mandated on all archery equipment? It's silly to demand that a dangerous noise remain unabated. But there's lots of silliness coming out of DC these days. Always has been.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Rational people know that silencers go on guns for the same reason that mufflers go on cars, and workers wear earmuffs around unavoidably noisy machinery. "Why would you want to reduce the sound level of gunfire that damages unprotected hearing and annoys the neighbors?" is a question that's too silly to ask.

That being said, there is no way that any Senator or Representative would put his name on a bill to put silencers in every WalMart, and it would take legislation to repeal that part of the NFA. Silencers are statutorily defined as NFA firearms, that can't be undone by executive order or new regulations by ATF.

The vast majority of Americans associate silencers with assassins and the Mafia, and nothing else. It would be political suicide to sponsor such a bill, and it would never be enacted.

Pushing this legislation would be like making a point of using the word "*****rdly" in all your speeches. Yes, it's a race-neutral word that has a perfectly acceptable meaning. But when's the last time that a candidate used it in public?

Lots of dangerous things lack that self-announcing feature. What's the sound of a propane leak from 50 yards away? What noise does an axe make before it hits a skull? Should bells be mandated on all archery equipment? It's silly to demand that a dangerous noise remain unabated. But there's lots of silliness coming out of DC these days. Always has been.
    I think you have a rather *****rdly view of politicians if you think no one would support a bill like that.

Maybe it's just my paranoia, but I'd be wary of signing my name to any petition on the whitehouse website.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Yes I have mixed feelings on providing my info to them.. although they probably have it anyways. (you know those papers you fill out to buy a gun)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    . . . .
    Maybe it's just my paranoia, but I'd be wary of signing my name to any petition on the whitehouse website.
    At the risk of Godwin's law, I'll point out that the very-civilized German people dutifully filled out the official government census forms, detailing how many lived there, and what religion they were. Later, the very-civilized Nazis used that data to make sure that no Jew was left behind. It's not paranoia if you really do have enemies.

It's too late for me, I'm already on all sorts of lists. Hell, I teach lawyers about NFA issues, you don't think anyone notices?

You youngsters may want to keep your heads down, though.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast