Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Sig 220, German frame or not

A friend from work is choosing between two sig 220s at a local shop. One is marked West German frame and one is not. The one that is not has night sights and a rail and is about 50 bucks more. The one that is tagged as West German has a strange rail (maybe dovetail) that doesnt look like anything we know of will fit it. So, Sig fans, which one should I recommend to him? Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Sig 220, German frame or not

Same specs on both. If I remember correctly, if it isn't marked with anything, it is US made. There is a lifetime warranty on it to the original purchaser if new, and a one year if it is a certified used. My money would get the one with the options it had that I want. Makes no difference to me who put it together. This isn't to sound sarcastic, but something I believe; there are many competent Americans building and assembling pistols in the good ol US. Look at the automobiles we are putting out now. We fianally got tired of being outdone in that industry. Pistols here are no different and I think we will be back on top of that game, soon, as well. The very best pistol I own is a US built SA longslide Loaded 1911.
    Last edited by harold63; October 11th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

The west German will be more desirable by collectors, mine is marked made in Germany I think it was made in 2005.

Noble and regal, focused watchful Piercing eyes, he is my shepherd and my best friend.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    A friend from work is choosing between two sig 220s at a local shop .........

The one that is tagged as West German has a strange rail (maybe dovetail) that doesnt look like anything we know of will fit it. So, Sig fans, which one should I recommend to him? Thanks for the help.
    I'm a little bit confused.
    What is marked "West German", the frame or the slide??

If it's the slide and the frame has a rail, it's most likely a CPO or a Franken Sig.

Sig stopped marking their slides "Made in W. Germany" in around 1994 / 1995. After that, they were marked "Made in Germany".
    The newer slides don't have Germany marked on the slide at all - only Exeter NH.

If the frame was made in Germany on the newer Sigs, only the frame will be marked "frame made in Germany"

Does the rail look like this one?

If so, the frame is a stainless steel frame that was used on the P220 Sport and then on the early P220ST like the one in the picture. That proprietary rail was used to attach an optional compensator that came with the P220 Sport.

Does the slide say P220ST and the frame say "frame made in Germany" like this one?

If so, the gun is an early all steel P220ST.
    They originally came with rubber rubber Hogue grips. I added the wood Nills to mine.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Lancaster County)

1blindref that is the gun I believe. Id have to see it again to be sure but I do believe that is what it looked like.

Too many things going in the net to know who is right. Weren't all of the frames built in G. and then whatever slides were tooled here were assembled to the frames, once they were shipped here from G.? As I understand it, frames are now made here in the US, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post

Does the rail look like this one?
    What it looks like is something that wreaks of quality. The P220 Elite will be the last egg in my basket. This pistol for me will be a dozen, baker's style.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    1blindref that is the gun I believe. Id have to see it again to be sure but I do believe that is what it looked like.
    The rubber Hogues that came on the P220ST's are the regular non finger grove grips - I don't have a picture of the gun with them on it.

That proprietary rail really isn't good for much other than the Sig compensator. Unless you can find a compensator (almost impossible, and very $$$$ if you do), that rail is pretty much useless.

As far as which one buy, it really depends on what you want the gun for.
    The P220ST is a heavy gun due to the extra weight of the steel vs alloy frame. They make good range or game guns, or even a HD gun, but not so comfortable to use as a CCW for all day carry.

The other P220 with the alloy frame and conventional rail is a better choice for a CCW or a HD gun if you are planning on using the rail for to mount a light or laser.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Too many things going in the net to know who is right. Weren't all of the frames built in G. and then whatever slides were tooled here were assembled to the frames, once they were shipped here from G.? As I understand it, frames are now made here in the US, as well.
    There is no right or wrong. Everything depends on when the particular Sig was made.

In the beginning, the entire gun was made and assembled in Germany. Then the guns were imported into the US. Sig first set up operations in Tyson's Corner, Va., then Herndon, Va., and finally in Exeter NH.

After Sig moved to Exeter, the US operation became known as Sig Arms. I'm not sure exactly what year, but Sig started tooling their slides in the US and assembled then with frames that were made in Germany. That's why you'll see the "frame made in Germany" marking on some of them.

Sig did start making some frames here in the US.
    The P226's that have serial numbers that start with "UU" instead of just "U" are assembled with US made frames. I'm not sure about the other models as their serial number prefix had not changed.

So depending on exactly when the gun was made, Sigs can have a bunch of different importer marks and "made in _____ " markings.

The other thing that you have to take into account are the CPO Sigs. They are sometimes Franken Sigs that are put together with the early stamped metal slides, along with a newer railed frames.

As you can see, there are a bunch of different possibilities of what roll stamps and markings a Sig can have so there really isn't a right or wrong.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    The rubber Hogues that came on the P220ST's are the regular non finger grove grips - I don't have a picture of the gun with them on it.

That proprietary rail really isn't good for much other than the Sig compensator. Unless you can find a compensator (almost impossible, and very $$$$ if you do), that rail is pretty much useless.

As far as which one buy, it really depends on what you want the gun for.
    The P220ST is a heavy gun due to the extra weight of the steel vs alloy frame. They make good range or game guns, or even a HD gun, but not so comfortable to use as a CCW for all day carry.

The other P220 with the alloy frame and conventional rail is a better choice for a CCW or a HD gun if you are planning on using the rail for to mount a light or laser.

There is no right or wrong. Everything depends on when the particular Sig was made.

In the beginning, the entire gun was made and assembled in Germany. Then the guns were imported into the US. Sig first set up operations in Tyson's Corner, Va., then Herndon, Va., and finally in Exeter NH.

After Sig moved to Exeter, the US operation became known as Sig Arms. I'm not sure exactly what year, but Sig started tooling their slides in the US and assembled then with frames that were made in Germany. That's why you'll see the "frame made in Germany" marking on some of them.

Sig did start making some frames here in the US.
    The P226's that have serial numbers that start with "UU" instead of just "U" are assembled with US made frames. I'm not sure about the other models as their serial number prefix had not changed.

So depending on exactly when the gun was made, Sigs can have a bunch of different importer marks and "made in _____ " markings.

The other thing that you have to take into account are the CPO Sigs. They are sometimes Franken Sigs that are put together with the early stamped metal slides, along with a newer railed frames.

As you can see, there are a bunch of different possibilities of what roll stamps and markings a Sig can have so there really isn't a right or wrong.
    That is a lot of good info. I have a friend that lets me shoot her P226 from tiem to time and I am going to look at the serial #. The P226 she has, no matter where it was done, is absolutely, darn near the perfect pistol.

(Luzerne County)

All things considered, if the P220ST (the one with the compensator rail) is in good shape, go for it. I have one and it is my most used pistol.