Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Snyder County)

Default NRA Instructor Course

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been looking at becoming an instructor but having a hard time finding a course in my area. I received a list of instructors from the NRA but the people I contacted never called me back. This has been almost a year ago. I am very interested in becoming an insturctor and having classes in my area. Can anyone here help me out with this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

(York County)

Default Re: NRA Instructor Course

I would be intrested in this as well.

(Allegheny County)

What in particular do you feel qualified to instruct on?

(Bucks County)

I started the same quest a couple of years ago. The NRA's information is out of date, and there aren't that many current instructors willing to take on a student. From what I understand it is akin to a mentoring program which requires your instructor to validate you achieved certain milestones.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    From what I understand it is akin to a mentoring program which requires your instructor to validate you achieved certain milestones.
    They expect you to have already attained a fundamental knowledge of firearms and shooting. Their goal is to certify instructors with the objective of teaching "how to teach" the NRA courses. No more, no less.

Realistically, it takes quite allot of experience to diagnose errors in technique, which in many instances are a matter of degree (e.g. are extremely subtle). Oftentimes a student will be committing more than one error which can complicate the analysis of their target.

You really need an opportunity to learn from someone that has some years of experience and who will take the time to tutor you.

There is also the issue of having or developing the ability to convey subject matter in a way (or in ways) that students can absorb and process the information.

It's not my intention to discourage anyone but any expectations one may have that NRA certification implies anything other than knowing how to follow their course curriculum will likely be disappointed. It's a start but it isn't actually a program whereby at the end of six weeks you'll become a firearms instructor in the absolute true sense of the word.

kid1911 where is union county pa? I know an instructor in northampton county.
    I might be able to pass along you e-mail to him, He may know someone in your area.
    PM if interested

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Mifflin County)

Lewisburg, PA is in Union county.

(Delaware County)

Check page 3 of the questions & answers category. It was talked about a week ago.[/I]

(Snyder County)

I would be interested in pistol, personal protection inside and outside the home. I'm also interested in taking the RSO course as well. Would also be interested in rifle and shotgun. I do believe that there is a basic instructors course that I must have prior to learning the other subjects and that's what I've been looking for.
    If need be I'm willing to travel somewhat.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson