Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Is this .50 cal broken?

or is it supposed to operate like a bolt action? it looks like a semi-auto, but you can see him pulling something back to cycle the action manually. seems like somethings broken maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt6QvpyhlTE

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Is this .50 cal broken?

All the semi-auto 50's I've seen had the charging handle on the right side, Barret made and Serbu made. Which that gun looked to be neither Barret or Serbu.

I'm wondering if his was modified to keep it from cycling. ...like by blocking the gas or locking the bolt/carrier. In locations that still have assault weapons bans, a manually cycled gun wouldn't be as regulated. Without knowing what make/model of gun it is - it's hard to say.

edit to my bold above - the caption says it was being shot in California, which could explain why a gun that looks like a semi-auto was performing like a manually operated gun. ...CA's AWB
    Last edited by knight0334; October 11th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    All the semi-auto 50's I've seen had the charging handle on the right side, Barret made and Serbu made. Which that gun looked to be neither Barret or Serbu.

I'm wondering if his was modified to keep it from cycling. ...like by blocking the gas or locking the bolt/carrier. In locations that still have assault weapons bans, a manually cycled gun wouldn't be as regulated. Without knowing what make/model of gun it is - it's hard to say.

edit to my bold above - the caption says it was being shot in California, which could explain why a gun that looks like a semi-auto was performing like a manually operated gun. ...CA's AWB
    This is a pretty good guess. I too noticed that the bolt handle was on the left side and found that a bit odd. I don't know the cali specifics, especially about some of the very big bore rifles, but you may be right. The other thing I wanted to mention was related to firing blanks and certain types of ammunition. I know for a fact that in some semi auto designs like the Barrett M82 (which this doesn't appear to be), they sometimes have trouble cycling blanks. I have heard it's related to the bolt carrier weight, and the way the system is made to absorb recoil. Without sending a projectile downrange, apparently the gases aren't enough to cyce the bolt and cause it to eject. So lots of times they have to be cycled by hand with blanks. If you watch the first sniper scene in the movie Shooter, you'll see Mark Wahlberg manually eject a round and release it to chamber the next. It seems like in the commentary, they talked about the rifle not wanting to cycle the blanks reliably. Just some food for thought anyway.

(Centre County)

I believe it is this one(scroll down on page).
    http://www.50bmgstore.com/cobb50bmg.htm

Cobb 50, model FA50

Straight pull bolt seems to be the give away. Plus that shooting mat has the website listed on it. Details, details......

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I used to be a member of the FCSA. If i can recall, the fifty was banned in kali, all they can own are the ones chambered in 510DTC EURO or something like it. I think who ever had a fifty they had to register it to keep it but no longer can you buy one.
    FJB

(Blair County)

Also the Bushmaster BA-50 is a left handed bolt. Don't think that video is it though since it seems to be a straight pull bolt as opposed to the more traditional style.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I used to be a member of the FCSA. If i can recall, the fifty was banned in kali, all they can own are the ones chambered in 510DTC EURO or something like it. I think who ever had a fifty they had to register it to keep it but no longer can you buy one.
    Yep, it was banned. Properly registered units can be owned, but no new 50bmg.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

thanks guys.

charging handle/bolt on the left side sure makes a lot of sense. it keeps your dominant hand on the pistol grip (or buttstock) and your eye on the sights/target. instead of having to lift your head and hand and then reacquire the target.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_go View Post
    thanks guys.

charging handle/bolt on the left side sure makes a lot of sense. it keeps your dominant hand on the pistol grip (or buttstock) and your eye on the sights/target. instead of having to lift your head and hand and then reacquire the target.
    I want to point something out, and it's something that I see people, including ones that are very experienced, do that is a "mistake". For most firearms, you do NOT have to life your head, shift your eye, or anything else to run a bolt. I see people do it all the time at the range. They shoot, raise their head and try to look over the scope, then put their cheek back on the rifle, look through the scope and try to acquire the target. Unless you have a manually operated bullpup rifle design (there aren't many), where the raises and camming of the bolt handle will cause it to hit your face, you do NOT have to move your head to run the bolt. You shouldn't even have to look to run the bolt. Your hand should go to it, while your face is still on the stock, and start to run the bolt while you're watching or looking for the target through the scope. To do anything else, even on a standard right handed, bolt action rifle, is "incorrect" and wasting time. The hands can move completely independent of your eyes and head, people do it all the time, every day.

I agree that in some instances, a bolt handle on the left side could be easier to run, and you are able to keep your dominant hand on the trigger. Lots of people think this is a benefit, but I don't think it necessarily is. In lots of positions where you'd be shooting the rifle in the field (I.E. NOT on a bench), your non dominant hand is what is supporting the rifle. You see this all the time in snipers from all over the world. The hand that isn't pulling the trigger, is under the buttstock, or on a hook that's part of the buttstock, supporting the rifle. You do NOT see snipers typically supporting or gripping the forestock of the rifle. That's what the bipod or rucksack or something else is there for. When someone actually IS in a field shooting position and using the non firing hand for support, you can't run the bolt without breaking position. You have to move the hand that is supporting the rifle, and keeping it on target, pull the bolt to the rear (possibly run it forward), and then put it back under the rifle and begin to adjust to get the rifle back into position. This can take a lot of time, and it's easy to get lost.

The other thing to remember is that lots of times, people's non dominant hand isn't as coordinated as their dominant hand. This means that it may take you longer to grasp and run a bolt with your non dominant hand. It also means that you don't have as fine of control over it's movements, and lots of times you're more jerky and moving the rifle more than necessary because it's the non dominant hand. I mean seriously, what's the point of keeping your finger on the trigger and being able to fire the rifle, if it's not on target because the support hand has completely thrown it off target? When your dominant firing hand is the one running the bolt, you won't be able to fire the rifle while running the bolt. You will already be on target, or very close to on target when you finish running the bolt, and by the time your finger is back on the trigger, you'll about be ready to fire. This obviously doesn't apply if you're not supporting the rifle with the non firing hand. Most of the time, that's the case though, and is the case in this video.

I'm not trying to argue, or disagree. I'm just saying that running the bolt with your non dominant hand isn't necessarily beneficial, or faster.

when I'm shooting my .17 the only time my eye comes off the scope is when my mag is empty.
    FJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast