Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000

(Allegheny County)

Unhappy Lee Pro 1000

I got this pro 1000 from a auction. I was having some serious issues with it, example the case wouldnt go into the dies. After i fix the index , the primers keep tipping to the side when the case comes to that station. I cant seem to fix that problem. Any advice??? I read that most people put the primers in by hand then use the press. My question is what do you do with that station that loads the primers, if you are handle loading the primers? Im new to reloading. Kind of learning as I go along. Thanks for info.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lee Pro 1000

Make sure the priming pin is centered in the hole. The carrier can make you think it's indexing OK but be a bit off-center....an extra fraction of a turn of the adjustment screw can make a real difference. Get in a routine of making sure the primers haven't "bridged" in the tray....I always pause for a second when the press handle is fully down and tap the primer tray to make sure the chute is full, and look at the powder disc to make sure that it isn't stuck (I've had it stick several times----it's rare, but it CAN happen.) Also, before a reloading session I always put a little powdered graphite in the primer chute so the primers can slide easier. Lastly, and this is just a thought....since you didn't buy the press new, is it possible that you have the wrong size primer chute in the press?
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Luzerne County)

Good advice. Also, keep the primer ram clean. Even a couple of grains of powder can cause tipping.
    What kind of primers are you using? CCI and Winchester are the recommended brands. I tried Federal and found that they were prone to tipping. Why? Go figure.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Bucks County)

I don't own a Lee 1000 but I am looking into the Load Master... anyway here's a forum dedicated to Lee presses, it seems to have a lot of good tips and tricks to get you running smoothly.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/

(Susquehanna County)

I wondered about the primer tube also... Maybe small primers in the large tube? Also, when setting up, fill the primer tray, but load 1 round at a time. Indexing is critical. As mentioned, a quarter turn on the adjustment is a lot! I like to turn the indexing screw till the shell plate just snaps over. Seems to be the right timing...
    Also, I use silicone as an anti static. A little on a Q tip, rubbed on the primer tray opening, and the primer slide, and wiped off with a dry one. I do the same to the case slide area for empty casings. I also keep a can of air to blow out the junk under the shell plate carrier. Without casings in the machine, index the handle while blowing out under the carrier... Static will be the main reason for failure if the adjustment is correct. I also like to de-humidify my reloading room. Dryer is better. Hope it all helps! Best of luck...
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

(Jefferson County)

Disable the automated priming and prime the cases manually with another tool. ...thats how I solved that issue with my Pro-1000. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks to everybody for the advice. I was only keeping about 15 to 20 primers. I was told to keep about 50+. Ill try that. the primers are winchester.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Disable the automated priming and prime the cases manually with another tool. ...thats how I solved that issue with my Pro-1000. lol
    Same here !
    DAN

(Luzerne County)

I also picked up a used PRO 1000 and a 3 hole turrent press. I'm getting dies and parts to set it up for .40 so I'll be watching for any info that comes along. thanks

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by sr20pit View Post
    I was only keeping about 15 to 20 primers. I was told to keep about 50+. Ill try that.
    DO NOT let the primer trough run low or you will have priming issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast