Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default FNP-45: tough/bad mag release?

Copied from my post over at FN Forum.NET:

Hey FNers,

Recently purchased an FNP-45 Tactical after many months of research and deliberation. So far, I haven't been let down (other than what I'm about to ask). With the radiused backstrap, it fits my hand like it was custom made. It's well built, and I love its design. It's just a beast, and I adore it.

HOWEVER, since purchase, I've been getting used to my gun (dry firing, operating the mechanisms, etc.) and have noticed my only complaint: the mag release. I don't know if it's me, the way the gun was designed, or if it's broken, but it's absolutely atrocious. I'm leaning towards it just being how the gun was designed, and that I'll have to get used to it, but here's my experience:

I can't release the magazine with my strong hand from a firing grip. When I place my thumb on the mag release (while still maintaining a firing grip), it is literally impossible for me to depress it deeply enough to release the magazine. I have to reposition my hand, and stick my thumb directly into the button (tip first), rather than just press it with the side of my thumb like every other pistol I've owned. Also, the mechanism itself is smooth, but the mag release button grinds against the polymer frame unless I press it straight in, and the friction from that contact makes it even harder to depress. All of this is true for both sides of the mag release.

The mechanism breaks cleanly. The moment I hit the sweet spot, it clicks and the magazine drops free. Loading the magazines is also easy. They go right in, and with a solid click, they stick just fine. This leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the mag release, and it's just awkward because of its ambidextrous nature. Also, I think it has to do with the button itself. It doesn't seem to project too much from the frame, and is almost flat. Makes it tough to release the mag with the side of the thumb, since the side of the thumb can't depress the frame-flush button into a hole that small.

So, FN forum, I ask my question: is it normally this tough to release a magazine, or do I have a bad mag release? Does the FNP-45 mag release just need to be pushed deeper than most standard mag releases because of its ambidextrous and flush design?

Hopefully I made my question clear and gave you enough background. I really don't want to send the gun back to FN for warranty work, so I thought I'd check here to see what other FNP-45 owners have to say.

P.S.: test-fire cartridge was shot on 8/15/2011. Fairly new model.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: FNP-45: tough/bad mag release?

Your best bet would be to try to find another one in a shop or somewhere and see if it's the same.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Copied from my post over at FN Forum.NET:

Hey FNers,

Recently purchased an FNP-45 Tactical after many months of research and deliberation. So far, I haven't been let down (other than what I'm about to ask). With the radiused backstrap, it fits my hand like it was custom made. It's well built, and I love its design. It's just a beast, and I adore it.

HOWEVER, since purchase, I've been getting used to my gun (dry firing, operating the mechanisms, etc.) and have noticed my only complaint: the mag release. I don't know if it's me, the way the gun was designed, or if it's broken, but it's absolutely atrocious. I'm leaning towards it just being how the gun was designed, and that I'll have to get used to it, but here's my experience:

I can't release the magazine with my strong hand from a firing grip. When I place my thumb on the mag release (while still maintaining a firing grip), it is literally impossible for me to depress it deeply enough to release the magazine. I have to reposition my hand, and stick my thumb directly into the button (tip first), rather than just press it with the side of my thumb like every other pistol I've owned. Also, the mechanism itself is smooth, but the mag release button grinds against the polymer frame unless I press it straight in, and the friction from that contact makes it even harder to depress. All of this is true for both sides of the mag release.

The mechanism breaks cleanly. The moment I hit the sweet spot, it clicks and the magazine drops free. Loading the magazines is also easy. They go right in, and with a solid click, they stick just fine. This leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the mag release, and it's just awkward because of its ambidextrous nature. Also, I think it has to do with the button itself. It doesn't seem to project too much from the frame, and is almost flat. Makes it tough to release the mag with the side of the thumb, since the side of the thumb can't depress the frame-flush button into a hole that small.

So, FN forum, I ask my question: is it normally this tough to release a magazine, or do I have a bad mag release? Does the FNP-45 mag release just need to be pushed deeper than most standard mag releases because of its ambidextrous and flush design?

Hopefully I made my question clear and gave you enough background. I really don't want to send the gun back to FN for warranty work, so I thought I'd check here to see what other FNP-45 owners have to say.

P.S.: test-fire cartridge was shot on 8/15/2011. Fairly new model.
    If the mag release is ambi, just use the trigger finger of your shooting hand to release it.

Been thinking about trying to find another 45 to handle, but they aren't very common where I am. The closest thing I have to an FNP-45 at my LGS is an FNX-9. I'll probably give it a grab tonight.

And yeah, I think trigger-finger releases are my best option at this point. The more I think about it, the more I think this is just a symptom of the release design. The button is fairly flush, and needs to be depressed slightly more than a standard release. That's just how it is, and a side-thumb push won't do it. Trigger finger releases let me jam that button home, so I think that's how I'll have to operate from here on out.

As long as your trigger finger reaches fine, i would not worry about it at all. I'm a lefty, and IMO the browning style releases actually work better with a lefty's trigger finger than they do for a righty using his thumb.

Definitely going to give it a try, then.

I'm just so used to Beretta 92s, where I can just nip the mag release with my thumb and the magazine drops free. I guess I took that for granted. I experimented with my trigger and middle fingers last night when I was goofing around, so I'll dedicate some more time to it tonight.

It's probably just a learning curve issue at this point, because the mechanism itself is solid and smooth when pressed directly.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Does the FNP-45 mag release just need to be pushed deeper than most standard mag releases because of its ambidextrous and flush design?
    I think the answer here is "yes".

If you are looking for that firm 1/8" depress dumping the mag it's not going to happen on this pistol.
    I--=--I
    The mag catch looks like the above. Where the tab in the center of the mag is held by a sliding catch. You have to push the release ---> over enough to get the catch out of the way of the tab on the mag body. While the tab on the mag is not very wide. The catch is wide in comparison to the tab on the mag itself.

I have NO idea how this thing comes apart. There is a significant amount of clockwork going on inside the pistol and I haven't even thought about trying to take it apart. (yet) But if you could remove the mag release, you could theoretically shorten the width of that mag catch so it requires less movement in either direction to dump the mag.

I don't remember this being a huge issue to me. But I think I normally cant the pistol in my hand when I drop a magazine. So it's probable I didn't notice it because I naturally twist the pistol a little, bring it by my face, insert the new mag and as my support hand rejoins the pistol it straightens back out.

As suggested you could try using the index finger to dump the mag as well. I have done that and having the ability to do so was neat. I especially liked how good the gun feels in my left hand. Most pistols feel odd in my "dumb" hand. But this one is totally shootable to me. I'm super awful left handed.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; October 11th, 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: fix some dyslexia

Dude, thank you so much. You always read my mind and elaborate on exactly what I'm confused about.

I had a feeling that's how it was constructed. Good to know that is what it is. Seems like a surprisingly simple and robust system, too, as there are no weird torques produced on the locking mechanism, it's equally supported on both sides, and it's simply tab/tab for locking. I really like it from an engineering perspective.

Looks like it'll take some getting used to. Odd system, but in the long run, I don't think it's for the worse.

Range report coming this Sunday.

(Allegheny County)

Took some video of me dumping the mag. Its uploading now. Hope it answers what words can't.

I got to handle one of these today and the mag release on it was tough. I then handled the tactical model and it was the same story. Once it does release, though, it pops the mag out quickly.

It is not a bad handgun just to hold. Feels a little bigger than the USP 45. What the FNP did have was the smoothest trigger on an over the counter pistol that I have ever felt. In SA mode, it is better than most 1911's I have handled or shot. It was exceptional. I wish my HK was as good.
    Last edited by harold63; October 22nd, 2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: just remembered how to spell
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast