Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Legal requirements for making a lower

I am going to make an AR15 lower receiver.

What do I need to do meet the legal requirements, both state and fed? I assume it needs a serial number. Does it need to follow a certain format? Can it be anywhere on the lower? Anything else?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Legal requirements for making a lower

Yes, unless you are prohibited from otherwise owning a firearm, you can make your own.

I'm pretty sure it does not need a serial number as per Fed law, PA law might be different?
    You cannot sell it.

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone
    from making a handgun, shotgun
    or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm
    may be made by a nonlicensee provided
    it is not for sale and the maker
    is not prohibited from possessing
    firearms. However, a person is prohibited
    from assembling a nonsporting
    semi-automatic rifle or nonsporting
    shotgun from imported parts. In addition,
    the making of an NFA firearm
    requires a tax payment and approval
    by ATF. An application to make a
    machinegun will not be approved
    unless documentation is submitted
    showing that the firearm is being
    made for a Federal or State agency.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C.
    5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and
    479.105]
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf

Now, if I were to do this, I would contact the ATF and ask them, that way you would recieve a letter that may come in handy later on down the road if Johnny Law decides that your non serial numbered rifle is illegal.
    Just picking a serial might cause a problem as well I suppose if there is another AR out there with the same one and is reported stolen.

I would use a unique number if you do need one, a combination of your initials and last 3 of your DL or last 4 of your SSN?

I was going to ask why you would want to bother since they can be had for $50, but I guess we all like a challenge once in a while.

Good luck.

(Delaware County)

Unless you are prohibited, go right ahead and make as many guns (or lowers) as you want.

The only stipulations are that if you make NFA items, you need to pay the tax stamp and get approval first (not your problem)

And Full auto is right out.

That lower doesn't need a serial until you go to sell it, and in which case you add one and properly note it on any form required (FFL or FTF, etc). If you do it once, no problem, but more then once at some point you cross a magic threshold with the ATF, and they bust you for manuf. without a licnse

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys. I was thinking about changing some features that would allow me to do something different than the usual markings. I'm not opposed to putting a SN or model # on it. I just want to be different.

Which is why its going to be ABS plastic :P

(Butler County)

(Allegheny County)

Yep. I don't plan on shooting it, but I'm sure it would be alright for a few rounds.

(Butler County)

id shoot it a few times...maybe put it on a sand bag or something and pull the trigger with a string from a safe spot...you have to figure, you can buy a 50BMG upper for a 'regular' lower, so i would have to imagine that plastic could withstand a .223/556. i dont know how much stress the lower actually experiences when its being shot.

whats it cost to print a lower? ive seen the actual printers for a few grand on ebay.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I suppose if there is another AR out there with the same one and is reported stolen.
    serial numbers only have to be unique for that manufacturer. every company out there can have a serial number 145398.

federal law does not require that homemade guns have a serial number but it is encouraged because then you wont have to explain things ad nauseam to the police at some future date.

also if you make your own gun unless things have changed recently there is no requirement to tell the feds about it.

im not sure what pennsylvania law says about it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cellboothmgr View Post
    id shoot it a few times...maybe put it on a sand bag or something and pull the trigger with a string from a safe spot...you have to figure, you can buy a 50BMG upper for a 'regular' lower, so i would have to imagine that plastic could withstand a .223/556. i dont know how much stress the lower actually experiences when its being shot.

whats it cost to print a lower? ive seen the actual printers for a few grand on ebay.
    it should be perfectly fine to shoot without all the safety measures, the lower doesn't contain any pressure at all. There was a guy out there who built two ar lowers out of wood and cutting board plastic, and the only problem he ran into was that the material was not strong enough around the takedown pins to contain recoil impuse and the buffer.

it won't last forever, but you can get quite a few uses out of it, especially if you renforce key spots.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Yes, unless you are prohibited from otherwise owning a firearm, you can make your own.

I'm pretty sure it does not need a serial number as per Fed law, PA law might be different?
    You cannot sell it.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf

Now, if I were to do this, I would contact the ATF and ask them, that way you would recieve a letter that may come in handy later on down the road if Johnny Law decides that your non serial numbered rifle is illegal.
    Just picking a serial might cause a problem as well I suppose if there is another AR out there with the same one and is reported stolen.

I would use a unique number if you do need one, a combination of your initials and last 3 of your DL or last 4 of your SSN?

I was going to ask why you would want to bother since they can be had for $50, but I guess we all like a challenge once in a while.

Good luck.
    above is fairly poor advice.

dont put anything on the lower. no serial number... no makers name, no caliber, no ANYTHING. Unless its NFA or you are a LICENSED MANUFACTURER you dont have any legal obligation to add markings.

Do NOT mail the ATF for a letter, there is no need, the law is clear who is required to mark, and what markings are needed on firearms

There is NO MARKING REQUIREMENTS FOR HOME MADE FIREARMS, EITHER PISTOLS OR RIFLES unless they are NFA devices, then they must be marked in accordance to Federal law... see NFA section for specifics.

there is NO PROHIBITION ON SELLING A HOME MADE FIREARM other than you may not make firearms specifically for SALE unless you are a licensed manufacturer
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast