Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Help on Colt 1860 Navy

My step dad found this in his dads house after he passed away. We took it to a gun show to have it looked at and the two people we showed it to said that its pretty much worthless. It is in very rough shape. The serial numbers were ground off of the barrel and the frame, but there is still a number on the brass trigger guard. It is a steel frame, I think its an 1860 navy. Is this gun worthless? Could it still be fired? If its not worth much would it be worth it to have it restored? There are lots of scrape marks like someone when at it with a nasty steel brush

I can upload more pictures if anyone needs better detail. Any information on this pistol would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Default Re: Help on Colt 1860 Navy

If you are dead set on shooting a cap and ball revolver then get a replica. Unless you get that to a smith who gives you the ok to shoot it.

Yours looks to be in pretty bad shape but is still a nice piece for a wall hanger . I don't know if I would shoot it. You would need to see if it is a .36 cal or a .44 cal the Colt Navy was a .36 but that looks like a Colt Army which was a .44.

I have a Replica Colt Army .44 ( Union ) and a Colt Navy (hex barrel) .36 cal Confederate.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

Yea I can't tell if its army or navy. Definetly a 44 cal. but all the markings and serial numbers have long since been worn off. I am looking to get a Pietta 1858 which I hear is a decent cap and ball

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
    Yea I can't tell if its army or navy. Definetly a 44 cal. but all the markings and serial numbers have long since been worn off. I am looking to get a Pietta 1858 which I hear is a decent cap and ball
    It's an Army model. The 1860 originally only came in 44cal. The 1861 came in .36cal and is known as the "Navy model".

It's value is just about completely gone. Who ever "cleaned" it up also F'd up the value.

I would not fire that thing at all, even if it were fixed up. In your best interest, you should just oil it up and put it on a wall as a decoration.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!