Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default My new Les Baer TRS Review

After having bad luck with my previous 2 1911's I decided to give Les Baer a try and picked up a new TRS 5". If you have never handled a new one of these, and have only heard they are tight as I did, You will still be surprised how hard it is to actually rack the slide. The first time I had jerk the slide towards me while punching the grip downwards just to get it out of battery. Amazing. I decided to treat myself as my new company I started is doing well, and I really hadn't rewarded myself (BTW Dan, I emailed you guys 2 times about advertising VaporSmiths, and got no response)

After completing the sale at Cove Creek Outfitters in Bedford, went over to A&S in Youngwood (Near Greensburg) to shoot the new TRS, and my recently returned Springfield Loaded which wouldn't feed and sometimes wouldn't load. I was obviously optimistic about shooting and brought 600 rounds of various FMJ and JHP to shoot through both of them.

To my surprise the TRS ate everything I fed it with ease. Surprising for such a tight fit gun. For those that know or remember me, I am not much of a shot, but was able to get offhand groups of 2" at 25 yards with the TRS. Amazing accuracy.

In comparison, the Loaded, now fixed gobbled up everything as well without a hiccup, The trigger on it in comparison to the TRS is awful. At 25 yards the best I could manage was 5" and that was on a bench rest. Well it is a $1300 cheaper pistol, so I suppose there will be differences.

I shot around 100 rounds through the fixed loaded and 200 through the TRS. The TRS is still tight as can be, and I know it will take at least another 300 rounds for it to "loosen" up. My hand however could not make it through the final 300 rounds I had brought with me.

The center of the bottom of my trigger finger pad developed a blister - I haven't really shot a long range session in over 2 years. Also, the checkering on the front strap of the TRS was beginning to rub my hand a little raw and with the blister on one finger I didn't want a handful of blisters:-).

Later that night during cleaning of the barrel and feed ramp (don't clean your new Baer until 500 rounds, just keep it nice and wet), I was trying to reassemble the TRS when "sproing" I lost my recoil spring plug. I searched the room I was in for over 90 minutes, under things, on top of things, behind things, literally took the room apart - The plug is no longer in this dimension. So I made a call to Les Baer and ordered a 2 new ones and a spring kit (always good to have spare parts) and all told with shipping only cost me $53. In the meantime the Springfields FLGR is now in place.

Overall, the TRS is a truly amazing piece of art and precision, far more accurate than I am, and runs perfectly. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a high end 1911. Accuracy+Great Trigger+Super Reliable+Great Mags+beauty makes this gone worth the extra 500 that you would normally spend on say a Springfield TRP. The downside? Now that I have found an out of the box reliable 1911 - I want another one - Now looking at the Les Baer Stinger which is a commander slide on an officer frame.

The TRS I have came in a not to shiny but not matte Blued Finish that is smooth and silky. As with all TRS this one came equipped with wood TRS slim grips, and I think I will change the Springer to slip grips as well.

If anyone in the PGH area wants to help me finish breaking it in, and maybe has outdoor club range membership at PMSC or somewhere let me know. I would love to let you run her for me while the finger heals, especially if you are a 1911 guru as I would love to know the trick to holding in the plug while turning the wrench on the bushing without losing the plug.
    Last edited by pitt45GAP; October 10th, 2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
    Voluntary transactions are the only moral kind.

Default Re: My new Les Baer TRS Review

Great review and great Les Baer Pistol that is what you should expect from a LB or Ed Brown or Wilson you obviously know a little about running and care for the 1911 platform because you finally got both to run clean. I wish all my problem was lasting through 600 rounds of 45 acp to break in my Les Baer.

I own 4 versions of 1911s none really separates themselves from the other all are 45s with most of the external modern features from a Colt to a Kimber, to a Sam, to the new Ruger and waiting on a E series Smith. All are accurate and fast but far from a Les Baer. Makes me wonder if I should have just bought one real good 1911 like a Baer and be done with it. But hind sight is 50/50 they say.

Good luck with yours, and that Loaded SF 1911.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 12th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

(Allegheny County)

That's one 1911 I would like to have. I'm also a PMSC member and if your interested in checking out the club shoot me a PM and we can meet up.
    Today was a good day!

(Allegheny County)

I used to be a member there, but it has been like 3 years. Would love to get the chance to let you run the TRS. I'll shoot you a pm with my contact info.

(Susquehanna County)

The TRS Baer just oozes with confidence and precision. I have a couple of Colts that I love but my Baer will never be replaced. Good luck with a Super 1911.
    Flintlocks Rock!

Nice Baer. I have a Monolith on the brain....I just dont have the nineteen Ben Franklins right now for it.
    Jules

Hate to break it to you, but it's going to take MUCH more than 300 rounds to loosen up. I have probably 20k through mine at this point (Uspsa, 3 gun, IDPA gun for years) and I still need a bushing wrench to take it apart.

Not that I'm complaining, just saying

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I figured. Also upon further investigation, my trigger finger is not a blister it was a cut, from the bottom of the trigger where apparently I was getting pinched - So definitely grip issue.

And I learned a much faster take down and assembly procedure. The bushing will always be tight, and that makes it accurate.

I am still pleased with this pistol. Now I want a LB Stinger, with single sided safety, wonder how long that will take....

(Montgomery County)

I'm a little late to the party but congrats on your purchase. I also have a TRS and it is a beautifully crafted 1911. I went to the range with a few buddies and one of them is a purist, no non-sense, functionality type of guy. I told him the price I paid and he said I can sell it and buy XYZ and another XYZ for that price. He just didn't get it UNTIL he had it in his hands and started shooting. My other friend that shot before him said, "If you sell that gun, I'm going to have to kill you".

Bought my 1911 from Crazy John (www.cj1911heaven.com).

Nice gun!

I try to avoid reading 1911 threads that contain the names of Baer, Wilson or Brown; because after getting my first 1911 this year, it takes a monumental effort to not hit the "Buy-It-Now" button.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast