Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Para 12.45

(York County)

Default Para 12.45

Have the opportunity to purchase a used PARA 12.45. I know they no longer make the model. As far as finding parts for repairs, does anyone know if normal 1911 parts can be used to repair any part of it at all? Or is entirely up to PARA parts since it is a double stack and they are the only one who made a model like this.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Para 12.45

Just a heads up.......I bought a P12 stainless steel carry model from Stoney Brook a few years ago. It was a total jam-o-matic. I sent it in to Para and it still didnt run. Changed all the springs in both the pistol and mags and that didnt fix it. Polished the feed ramp and almost everything else to no avail. I swapped it out to a friend who was willing to take a chance on it and I know he wound up dumping it. If it is indeed a stainless carry model let me know and Ill see if I can find the serial number of the piece of crap I had to make sure its not the same gun.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Berks County)

From what I've read, there's a lot of quality variation depending on when they were made. I bought one that was made in the early 90's from a friend. I've put about 300-400 hundreds rounds through it with only one failure to feed, but that was with lead semi-wadcutter reloads. It is a plain blue model, but don't see how that compared to stainless would matter.

I don't shoot it much, but there's something about 13 rounds of .45 in a 1911 style that I can't let go of it

For starters, the trigger group is entirely different and Para only. If you want the gun, this company works on all specialty Para's: http://www.cylinder-slide.com/
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

If you are going to buy a 1911 type Pistol buy a single stack, the Gun were designed to be that way, double stack 1911's are problematic to say the least.

If you just want a high cap .45 get a Glock 21, 30 etc. or Springfield/Smith etc.

I have 2 Paras a TAC-s with the LDA trigger and a and a LTC, the LTC is my EDC thats how much confidence i have in it, never a problem with any of them, i took the LTC up to the state Gameland range last thursday and onlty the 25 yard lanes were available , the LTC destroyed the bullseye anyway, one of the most accurate guns i ever shot.
    In saying that sometimes the problems with thosse "problem Guns" is the shooter himself, also high cap 1911's are very ammo sensitive for obvious reasons.
    I would stay away from any double stack 1911's period.