Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DEFCON-1

(Lehigh County)

Default DEFCON-1

ok so i was just down at thenew club storm, right next to montana west and i guess defcon 1 is moving in underneath them there.... so me being interested decided to go to their website and check um out....

i go to the services page and scroll down and this is what i read;

TRANSFERS:

We charge $25.00 for transfers on long guns or hand guns for first firearm, up to 3 firearms can be included on that transaction for $15.00 each after the first $25.00 is paid. After 3 firearms, $25.00 will apply again, etc. For each transfer or purchase requiring federal paperwork (4473), a PICS fee of $5.00 will apply. For example, transfer of 1 handgun and 2 long guns will be charged as such: $25.00 first gun, $15.00 second gun, $15.00 third gun, $5.00 pics check, $3.00 for each gun state surcharge, plus sales tax.

now under their about us page they talk about being in accordance with stqate and federal laws.... insnt that kind of contradictory?? or are they playing mind games with ignorant people? kinda seems like they are trying to scam people who dont know that long guns dont need to be "transfered" by a FFL

(Chester County)

Default Re: DEFCON-1

Some folks want to transfer rifles and shotguns for the peace of mind of a "legal" transfer, or some as you say simply don't know.

But Policies and costs are obviously well posted.

Step one is to ask mgr. to not charge them on long guns.

Step two is to try and find another store that will do anything for free.

It is starting to get a little like the airlines with their baggage fees, meal fees, pillow fees, etc. Stores know you have the internet to find out what others are selling the exact same item for. You find the cheapest price and go in and ask them to match it. If they want the sale they will try, but they have to be able to stay in business.

If they didn't charge the fees they would simply have to add $30 dollars or so to the price of each firearm. You pay for it one way or the other.
    Last edited by mbinpa; October 10th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.

(Northampton County)

He may be talking about on line transfers. But if you want to transfer a long gun threw my shop I would charge you as well.

A dealer can't just give you a firearm without running it threw his book.

If some ones prices are to high shop around. That includes the transfer fees. OP unless they realy have something you must have shop around. I thought defcon 1 went out of business years ago!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Dauphin County)

FIREARMS PICKUP AT DEFCON 1:

Each purchase will require a PICS check (state laws apply). A fee of $5.00 is assessed for each PICS check, which is good for up to 3 firearms. A surcharge of $3.00 will apply for each firearm transfered. State sales tax applies for service rendered.

TRANSFERS:

We charge $25.00 for transfers on long guns or hand guns for first firearm, up to 3 firearms can be included on that transaction for $15.00 each after the first $25.00 is paid. After 3 firearms, $25.00 will apply again, etc. For each transfer or purchase requiring federal paperwork (4473), a PICS fee of $5.00 will apply. For example, transfer of 1 handgun and 2 long guns will be charged as such: $25.00 first gun, $15.00 second gun, $15.00 third gun, $5.00 pics check, $3.00 for each gun state surcharge, plus sales tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    kinda seems like they are trying to scam people who dont know that long guns dont need to be "transfered" by a FFL
    Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    Some folks want to transfer rifles and shotguns for the peace of mind of a "legal" transfer, or some as you say simply don't know.
    It's fraudulent to claim that the PICS background check call costs other than what it costs, and it is unlawful to charge a fee other than as provided by law. "(3) Requested by means of a telephone call that the Pennsylvania State Police conduct a criminal history, juvenile delinquency history and a mental health record check. The purchaser and the licensed dealer shall provide such information as is necessary to accurately identify the purchaser. The requester shall be charged a fee equivalent to the cost of providing the service but not to exceed $2 per buyer or transferee." 18 Pa.C.S. 6111(b)(3).

I'm also not convinced that it would be lawful to make what is essentially a straw purchase of a long gun through an FFL. It is a crime to sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm in violation of section 6111, and it is a crime to initiate a PICS check "for any purpose other than compliance with this chapter". Therefore, if there is no authority for the PA licensed dealer to make a PICS check call for long arms, having that occur is a crime. Because 6111, and often other parts of the UFA, is such a fucking mess, I have to spend about 10 times reading and jumping sections, and reading the court cases, so I am once again trying to step through this to see whether an FFL may lawfully be the straw purchaser.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rflynn View Post
    He may be talking about on line transfers. But if you want to transfer a long gun threw my shop I would charge you as well.

A dealer can't just give you a firearm without running it threw his book.
    this is what i was jut thinking.. or if say you buy from manufacturerand hace it shipped to ffl...

atleast thats what i hope they mean

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: DEFCON-1

Yes, the rifle transfer charge only applies to purchases from out of state through private sales or on-line auctions like Gunbroker.com. I have bought several new rifles through Dan and he has the lowest prices in the area from GalleryofGuns.com (Davidsons). I was never charged a transfer fee for these purchases. Dan currently works out of his house, but will be opening the downstairs store by the old Montana West on 309. In fact, Dan is a partner in the new restaurant just opened in the "old" Montana West called El Toro Loco at Montana West. http://www.eltorolocorestaurant.com/
    Last edited by MikeyD; October 12th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.

Thumbs up Re: DEFCON-1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
    Yes, the rifle transfer charge only applies to purchases from out of state through private sales or on-line auctions like Gunbroker.com. I have bought several new rifles through Dan and he has the lowest prices in the area from GalleryofGuns.com (Davidsons). I was never charged a transfer fee for these purchases. Dan currently works out of his house, but will be opening the downstairs store by the old Montana West on 309. In fact, Dan is a partner in the new restaurant just opened in the "old" Montana West called El Toro Loco at Montana West. http://www.eltorolocorestaurant.com/

Thanks for the info. I saw the trailer parked in the lot while renovations for the restaurant were going on and wondered if the old gunsmith premises were going to be occupied again.

(Berks County)

Is Brenton still working for the owner? He was always helpful when I went into the shop at the top of the hill in Coopersburg.

(Lehigh County)

Friends,
    Apologies for anything that may appear to be contradictory. I assure you that is not the intent. We are open and doing well, just have been going through a great deal of changes last couple years to include foreign sales / export. but we still service the public. We are in the midst of change again, but continue to serve you.
    The transfer of long guns, applies specifically to the out of state transfer, where a customer would purchase from another individual that chooses to ship the item into the state for pickup. Additionally, many customers prefer to register/transfer long guns when bought privately and i advise that this is a good practice.
    Lastly, I am not associated with any business in Quakertown, specifically at that location known as Montana West, Storm, El Toro Loco, or whatever the hell they call it now. I had intentions of moving there at one point, but I do not do business with unsavory businessmen, crooks, and less than honorable individuals. This may be why you may have heard i was there.
    We are currently in the market to procure a large retail space in the LV area where we will cater to our customers. More to come, but i assure you this will be unlike anything you have seen. Provided we can make it all work out. Thanks for your loyalty over the years. More to come.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast