Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Snyder County)

Default shotgun for a turkey shoot

what is a good shotgun to use at a turkey shoot. i have used my mossberg 835 and 500 neither one holds a decent pattern with an x full or a turkey choke. confused

(Crawford County)

Default Re: shotgun for a turkey shoot

Xfull turkey choke will distort lead shot and open up the pattern. Stick with a full choke and either gun should do fine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by weavagra View Post
    Xfull turkey choke will distort lead shot and open up the pattern. Stick with a full choke and either gun should do fine.
    That all depends on the shot, the choke and the gun.

My 1187 supermag shoots great with primos jelly head and remington nitro mag turkey loads. 3.5 inch

The mossbergs are usually back bored for better shot alignment in the barrel before it exits the gun.

You will have to find out what shot they want people to use and how far you will be shooting. Some turkey shoots only allow everyone to use the same shot.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    That all depends on the shot, the choke and the gun.

My 1187 supermag shoots great with primos jelly head and remington nitro mag turkey loads. 3.5 inch

The mossbergs are usually back bored for better shot alignment in the barrel before it exits the gun.

You will have to find out what shot they want people to use and how far you will be shooting. Some turkey shoots only allow everyone to use the same shot.
    Every turkey shoot I've been to since the 1980's gave you your shell so that everyone shoots the same.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Those screw in chokes that are very "tight" have a too abrupt of a change in bore diameter which causes what weavagra mentioned above.

To keep from having such shot distortion you need a long taper to tighten the shot column instead of the very abrupt change right near the muzzle. You will often find that Full or Modified will have a tighter pattern with screw in chokes than X-Full or any of the Turkey chokes because of that. This is where a fix choke barrel really shines when using super tight chokes. The constriction can start right near the end of the chamber and make a long taper to the muzzle forcing the shot in the cup to move up into a longer column instead of squeezing it together and denting each pellet up, which then causes patterns to fly apart.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Snyder County)

what is one of the best out of the box shootin guns

(Mercer County)

I have had my "old school" BT-99 outlawed at my Turkey Shoots over the years. The old BT and the shells provide at the shoots are a winning combination.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Cambria County)

If this is something you are going to do for a while i would say find yourself an old Marlin Goose Gun. Full choke 36 inch barrel. I used to shoot turkey shoots a lot, and had a few guns built for that purpose with high power scopes and so on, but the there were a lot of places that stated the gun had to be "factory". The Marlin Goose Gun was the ticket for those shoots as well as winning a lot of the "modified" shoots.

(Northumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: shotgun for a turkey shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
    If this is something you are going to do for a while i would say find yourself an old Marlin Goose Gun. Full choke 36 inch barrel. I used to shoot turkey shoots a lot, and had a few guns built for that purpose with high power scopes and so on, but the there were a lot of places that stated the gun had to be "factory". The Marlin Goose Gun was the ticket for those shoots as well as winning a lot of the "modified" shoots.
    ^^^ You got that right, I used a stock Goose Gun for a few shoots at the Millersburg Rod and Gun always went home with a nice ham. Ugly as hell but it works almost every time, and they are cheap if you find one.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"