Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question bulgerian makarov

Is there a way to soften the kick of this gun. old wrists & big kicks don't go well together.

(Elk County)

Default Re: bulgerian makarov

Order a Pearce Grip for it.

Midway has them:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=171929

So does CTD:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/72854-1.html

The rubber Pearce grip makes the Mak feel a bit more "chunky" or substantial in the hand and definitely tames the recoil by a noticeable amount.

HTH,

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; October 8th, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Northampton County)

Also you can can get a recoil spring calibration pak from wolff springs and toy with it to suit your needs. Love em was shooting my maks yesterday.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Philadelphia County)

19 lb Wolff recoil spring instead of the stock 17 lb.

(Northampton County)

This type of pistol definitely has some kick to it, 2 of the posters gave you the answer pierce rubber grips and 19 lb recoil spring from wolff. I usually get the recoil calibration pack so I can toy with it a little. With that being said out of the group of 9x18 pistols the bulgarian mak is not the worst on the recoil. The pa63 with the alloy frame will give you hand fatigue after one box of ammo. I like the bulgarian because if you want to do a little upgrading like low profile carry sights it can be done. I did that to my pa-63. Also the trigger pulls on the maks are better than the pa-63,p-64,p-83. Now the Cz82 is the best on the trigger pull, and I like the ergonomics the best. I shoot mine every week . the only 9x18s that are not in my collection are the east german mak and the p-61 which is a shorter version of the pa-63. These are great small carry pistols and I carry one of mine every day, today it is the p-64 polish 6 shot.Double action pulls on the p-64,p-63 and p-83 are heavy but can be brought down to normal range 10lbs by swapping out the mainsprings. Enjoy it ammo is cheap and limit yourself to what your hands can handle. My bulgarian is in my signature.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Westmoreland County)

I have had a few Maks over the years, only one in collection currently, the Russian IJ-70 mine was made in 1994,with the adjustable rear sight. It is a little snag prone when carrying. I prefer the Bulgarian style fixed sight. Best advice I know is already posted here- The 19 lb. recoil spring and the Pearce type grip may make a noticeable difference.

Also, not sure what ammo you are firing, but if you are using the steel case Wolf type, try some brass case ammo. It could only be in my head, but it seems the steel case has slightly more recoil.

IMO the Makarov is often overlooked as a great, fairly compact, reasonably priced, well made CCW pistol. The 9x18 ammo is more common in stores now, I have even seen it at Wal-Mart recently. I have taken down a few nuisance critters with the Cor-Bon ammo, not sure if they still make it now.

Here is a pretty informative website, a shame they no longer sell parts now, I used to do business with them-
    http://makarov.com/
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28