Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Ruger P95 Stovepipe

So I have had a Ruger P95 for almost 6 years now and I bought it used. I love it. But it seems that just about every magazine, or even every other round, it stovepipes or double feeds.

Any idea what could cause this and how I could fix it?

A guy I took it to said I was probably limp wristing it, but I know I don't and it has happened when my family has shot the gun too.

Default Re: Ruger P95 Stovepipe

Check to be sure the feed ramp is clean. Just a quick hand polish with some rubbing compound may help. Be sure you are not using weak ammo. This is the primary cause along with poor shooting technique. Is it the original recoil spring?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

FWIW, if you reload and you are using light loads, even the slightest hint of limp wristing can cause stove pipes. The slide has to be able to go back all the way to fully extract the spent cartridge and pick up another. If you are shooting light loads, especially with a light pistol, you have to shoot stiff.

If you have another pistol does the ammo you are shooting run in that gun? If it does then maybe its the Ruger P95 maybe the slides being held up some kind of way either you need to shoot higher velocity rounds or oli your slide.

At one time subsonic 147 grain 9mm ammo could cause this, the round would fire but not go far enough back to extract the spent case but picked up another round from the magazine causing as you stated a dbl feed look like.

If the ammo doesn't work in both guns then its the ammo. If it works in another gun and not the Ruger then its something to do with the Ruger. I'd try another brand of ammo after oiling the slide and or polishing the feed ramp. Ruger usually makes pretty reliable and durable guns, no company is flawless.

The Process of elimination usually works.

(Carbon County)

had one, sold it. i couldnt stand dealing with it, was doing everything yours is. mine wasnt the only one with that problem, i read the same stories over on the ruger site.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    after oiling the slide
    Good advice, as well. Be sure gun is clean and slide is oiled or greased. I use a type of gease on all my slide to frame areas; it simply functions better.

WWB in this pistol. Be sure you are holding it in the web between your thumb and index finger. Stiff wrist. Stiff grip. 99% chance of your problem being cured. 1% of sending it to Ruger. Sounds like this gun still isn't shot in, yet. They are a pain in the ass to get shooting good, but it will. One last thing, if you are a little patient, that is. When you are sure you have a clean and lubed gun, hand rack it a few hundred times. You don't have to let the slide slam shut each time. This is simply to get the grooves in the slide to wear into each other and loosen the already tight spring the P95 comes with. Happy shooting!

Ive got over 700 rds through mine now. Last stovepipe was 675 rounds ago as I was figuring this pistol out. A firm grip took care of my issue. All original parts. Pistol is gtg.
    Hold the Line...

(Lycoming County)

Thanks everyone I am shooting it tomorrow at my in-laws lets hope it all works. cleaned it with a new oil and will firm up my grip more.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan15184 View Post
    Thanks everyone I am shooting it tomorrow at my in-laws lets hope it all works. cleaned it with a new oil and will firm up my grip more.
    My PT 1911 .45's will shoot if you lay them on a bench and pull the trigger with a stick. Very forgiving. Turn right around and shoot my PT 1911 9mm the same way and it will piss you off. Some guns just inherently need a stiffer wrist and grip than others, along with a hotter ammo. Doesn't mean you are using poor technique, it's just that you have to get to know each individual gun.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    My PT 1911 .45's will shoot if you lay them on a bench and pull the trigger with a stick. Very forgiving. Turn right around and shoot my PT 1911 9mm the same way and it will piss you off. Some guns just inherently need a stiffer wrist and grip than others, along with a hotter ammo. Doesn't mean you are using poor technique, it's just that you have to get to know each individual gun.
    what you are saying is that its ok that your gun will shoot well if you give it a death grip. a gun should shoot in any situation. i would never trust my life to a gun that needs grease and a quart of oil not to mention a death grip just to shoot. my advice is either get rid of it, or send it back to ruger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast