Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Gunsmith

(Bucks County)

Default New Gunsmith

I am relatively new to the field of Gunsmithing, but I am looking to learn as much as I can. Please post good schools and online programs, books, products, offers, and equipment that would be usefull to me. I am looking to expand my knowledge of rifles and shotguns right now. I think I will take the gunsmithing course on either Penn Foster or Ashford using their online programs. I hope to use this knowledge to make some side cash and learn as much as I can about firearms. I am also trying to get into the Heckler and Koch mechanical engineering programs. Any knowledge is usefull thanks.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: New Gunsmith

Check out the Pittsburgh school of gunsmithing. I believe that you will find their program to cover all facets of the trades involved in being a full service gunsmith from wood to metal, from fabricating to repair of existing parts. It is a very complex line which obviously involves working on firearms that may be depended on for protection of life.

Whatever training path you choose, please make certain that you are well trained in the line of work that you are choosing. There is enough hacks in the field that return firearms in a worst condition than when first dropped off.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: New Gunsmith

Pittsburgh School of Gunsmithing.

If you are mechanically inclined and can use google, those at home courses are a thing of the past IMO.

Just a side note, I will not let someone work on a firearm of mine unless they went to an accredited hands on school or if not, they need to have at least 30 years of smithing under their belt.

Not a slam against you or others like you, I am actually in that class myself, but I have seen too many butcher jobs in my days of shooting to trust an amateur with my life. Take that how you like, not trying to be rude, just honest.