Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Springfield EMP IWB holster recommendations

Just what the subject says -- looking for a good, comfortable, tuckable IWB holster for a Springfield EMP. This will be the first time I've really tried IWB carry, so any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Springfield EMP IWB holster recommendations

Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB holster. I carry an EMP in it when I'm not OCing it, and the gun disappears. It has a suede backing which is super comfortable, and you have the option of a leather lining in the kydex which will be easier on the finish of the gun. The leather is stiff enough for support of the gun, but molds easily to the body after a couple hours wear. Can't recommend enough. Link below.

http://tuckergunleather.com/answeriwbs.html
    They let me play with chemicals!

Thanks. Anyone else have other suggestions? Just want some ideas.

(Pike County)

Look at Side Guard Holsters. They are well made and not that expensive.

I would look at a quality piece of leather with a reinforced mouth and a wide stance. That will be important with a short, heavy gun. I personally wouldn't bother with tuckables as i find they all sorta suck in one way or another. Either the clips are too visible or they don't hold the holster on the belt well enough. Something like a Kolbeson Stealth or Fist #20 can be had for around $100. There are several advantages to leather that go beyond simple comfort. If you must have a tuckable, velcro attachment points on a modified belt (Fist #22, for instance) seem to be the answer. Unfortunately, now you're looking at more like $150 for the holster and a new belt or the cost of having one modified.

Congratulations on finding an EMP that actually works well enough that you would consider carrying it.
    Last edited by vicious; October 11th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I have a Tucker "the Answer" and while the leather material used to make it is fantastic, the kydex offers horrible retention. I had a major issue with their customer service, and long story short... Im sticking with the Comp-Tac MTAC and Crossbreed Supertuck and will never order from Tucker again.
    the MTAC offers fantastic retention, compact size, and amazing comfort. It carries and wears like a dream. The Supertuck is simple and roust, and also very comfortable. Both will work great for you

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post

Congratulations on finding an EMP that actually works well enough that you would consider carrying it.

Well, you know, we'll see how I feel after it gets back from Springfield for the warranty work.

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Well, you know, we'll see how I feel after it gets back from Springfield for the warranty work.
    LOL. I'm sorry dude, i was just kidding around. Didn't mean to hit a sore spot.

I remember the first review I read of the EMP, the first round out of the box stovepiped and it had to go back to springfield 3 times over the course of the article. Micro 1911's are hard to get working. The gun just wasn't designed to be set up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    LOL. I'm sorry dude, i was just kidding around. Didn't mean to hit a sore spot.

I remember the first review I read of the EMP, the first round out of the box stovepiped and it had to go back to springfield 3 times over the course of the article. Micro 1911's are hard to get working. The gun just wasn't designed to be set up that way.
    Naah, you're cool. I had a different attitude when I was out shooting and having a jam on every mag, though. Around about round #250, I had to stop and ask myself: "What makes you think round #251 is somehow going to make this any better?"

I ended up getting it b/c one of the things I took from Randy Cain's Handgun 101 was just how important a good trigger is, at least for me. I deliberately took the course with my Kahr MK9 (figured that it's the gun I'm most likely to carry, so I'd better practice with it,) and I was frankly sick of the loooong trigger pull on it by the end of the third day. After thinking about it, the 1911 seemed like the way to go, and since I preferred to stay with 9mm, the EMP seemed like the way to go. (No doubt someone's going to post that I shoulda just gone with a Commander...)

We'll see if it's reliable after I put 500+ rounds when it gets back.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Naah, you're cool. I had a different attitude when I was out shooting and having a jam on every mag, though. Around about round #250, I had to stop and ask myself: "What makes you think round #251 is somehow going to make this any better?"

I ended up getting it b/c one of the things I took from Randy Cain's Handgun 101 was just how important a good trigger is, at least for me. I deliberately took the course with my Kahr MK9 (figured that it's the gun I'm most likely to carry, so I'd better practice with it,) and I was frankly sick of the loooong trigger pull on it by the end of the third day. After thinking about it, the 1911 seemed like the way to go, and since I preferred to stay with 9mm, the EMP seemed like the way to go. (No doubt someone's going to post that I shoulda just gone with a Commander...)

We'll see if it's reliable after I put 500+ rounds when it gets back.
    Meh. It's not like you're the only one who's had problems with them. And that's ridiculous because of what they cost. If they cost $400 and took tons of work to get running that might be ok, but at $1100 or $1200?? Are you kidding?

I'd rather buy 2 or 3 Glocks.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast