Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 3 gun gear

Default 3 gun gear

Say with an AR, what type of setup are people using to carry magazines with? I only have an old Alice Y harness and pouches currently. Antiques for sure, but they are MY antiques and Ive got them customized to me Would I stick out too much like a sore thumb?
    Hold the Line...

Default Re: 3 gun gear

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Say with an AR, what type of setup are people using to carry magazines with? I only have an old Alice Y harness and pouches currently. Antiques for sure, but they are MY antiques and Ive got them customized to me Would I stick out too much like a sore thumb?
    If your going to have fun and for practice, i say go with what you have but if your looking to be competitive your going to be at a disadvantage. Remember your going to need to be able to attach a pistol holster , pistol pouches and shotgun caddys.

Unfortunately shooting 3gun can be a bottomless pit. You get to see everyone's cool gear and then go home and start shopping.

example-

first 3gun match
    1. Sig sp2009 (12 rd of 9mm)
    2. ar stock -w/cabela's red dot
    3. Rem 870 marine
    total- $1500

Last 3gun
    1. Fusion 2011 ( 20rd of 40)
    2. ar - trigger, muzzlebrake, badlever, ctr stock ,1.5-5 scope
    3. Rem 1100 tac4
    total- $4000 +

p.s. and i am not even close to having the coolest gear out there.

Not sure what area you are in but you should come check out the Heildeberg 3gun.

To be honest, i am more into shooting USPSA right now but 3gun is a good practice and damm funnnnnnnn

Hope this helped, probably not ...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

Pagoda,
    Will you be at Heidelberg this Sat. (10/8)?

(Allegheny County)

I am pretty new to 3 gun with only a dozen matches, but I have not found a reason to use anything other than pants pockets, so far. 30 rounders fit pretty well, and lacking a tactical tummy belt space it at a bit of a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
    I am pretty new to 3 gun with only a dozen matches, but I have not found a reason to use anything other than pants pockets, so far. 30 rounders fit pretty well, and lacking a tactical tummy belt space it at a bit of a premium.
    How mant rounds are you supposed to take with you in the field? I've read in some matches, you are only allowed the rounds you can carry (no resupply).
    Hold the Line...

If you're just starting out in competition, don't worry about getting the coolest, fastest gear. You will probably have a lot of work to do on your shooting skills and technique before you will be able to appreciate the advantages afforded by having the best stuff.

Tune yourself in on the macro level before the micro level.

This advice really holds true for anything, not just competition. I see this doing tactical training all the time. People get the gear that they see the cool guys running without yet having the knowledge to know why they run that gear in that fashion. A lot of times they find out that something else works better for them.
    Last edited by vicious; October 12th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    How mant rounds are you supposed to take with you in the field? I've read in some matches, you are only allowed the rounds you can carry (no resupply).
    I've never needed more than 1 spare mag. I have carried 2 spares on occasion.

YMMV if your clubs ends up doing a lot of high round count matches. But I would guess that alot of the fancy vest setups are for matches like the MGM ironman or ITRC.

(Allegheny County)

Just go.

reloading shotgun from a pocket sucks, but its a fuck ton better than sitting on your couch . You can sort the gear out later, once you know better what you need and want.

Shawnjustgoshoot.L