Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Broward Commission Wants Broward "Exempt" from Gun Legislation

Everyone is special. Please don't make us abide by the law.

http://webapps.broward.org/newsrelea...MessageId=3345

Broward Commission Wants Broward "Exempt" from Gun Legislation
    DATE: October 5, 2011
    MEDIA CONTACT: Kimberly Maroe, Public Information Manager
    Broward County Board of County Commissioners
    PHONE: 954-357-8053
    EMAIL: kmaroe@broward.org

Broward County Commissioners will ask Florida Legislators to exempt Broward County from House Bill 45, the recently enacted state law that allows anyone with a concealed weapons permit to take a handgun into a public building or park. The law also includes fines of up to $5,000 for each appointed or elected official who violates the law, holding them personally liable.

“I propose that we have the chair of the Broward County State Legislative Delegation file a local bill that will exempt Broward County from HB 45,” said Commissioner Stacy Ritter. “Many counties don't have sexual assault treatment or addiction recovery centers, so they don't have to deal with these problems. If I were the victim of a sexual assault, going through a recovery program, or if I was beaten up and sexually assaulted I would not want that person coming into that facility with a gun. If he/she did come in with a gun I would want staff to be able to say, ‘No you can't come in,’ and that can't happen right now.”

The request passed with Commissioner Chip LaMarca casting the only “no” vote.

HB 45 does prohibit bringing firearms to meetings of the legislature, city or county commission, school board or any other governing body. Bringing firearms to places licensed to serve alcohol, college or university facilities, court rooms, career centers, polling places and elementary and secondary schools is also already prohibited.

The local bill is expected to be filed during the 2012 Legislative Session which begins in January.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Broward Commission Wants Broward "Exempt" from Gun Legislation

“Many counties don't have sexual assault treatment or addiction recovery centers, so they don't have to deal with these problems. If I were the victim of a sexual assault, going through a recovery program, or if I was beaten up and sexually assaulted I would not want that person coming into that facility with a gun. If he/she did come in with a gun I would want staff to be able to say, ‘No you can't come in,’ and that can't happen right now.”
    Make sense to me. The guy who beats and rapes his girlfriend will obviously be hindered by the "no weapons" policy. Fucking moron.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Broward Commission Wants Broward "Exempt" from Gun Legislation

If he/she did come in with a gun I would want staff to be able to say, ‘No you can't come in,’ and that can't happen right now.”
    Um, I think they can keep the sexual abuser out of the sexual abuse treatment facility. Where I am we call it "prison." Maybe have Broward pass a law that makes sexual abuse a crime and they wouldn't have to worry about sexual abusers carrying guns into treatment facilities for the victims? Where can a sexual abuser legally obtain a gun anyway? -- call the cops and have the abuser arrested as a prohibited person? Just a thought.