Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: References needed from within the county?

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    I suppose we will all be waiting some time for someone to post where in the law references are demanded of applicants, since they aren't a requirement in the law at all as is.
    This, of course, has been discussed a lot before, but the line in the statute "on a form prescribed by the state police"... does that give them total control of what is on the LTCF app. and therefore anything they put on there, like asking for references, is legal?

(Or, at least that's what they believe?)

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    This, of course, has been discussed a lot before, but the line in the statute "on a form prescribed by the state police"... does that give them total control of what is on the LTCF app. and therefore anything they put on there, like asking for references, is legal?

(Or, at least that's what they believe?)
    Well there's this to consider:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6111 (g)(3.1)

Any person, licensed dealer, licensed manufacturer or licensed importer who knowingly and intentionally obtains or furnishes information collected or maintained pursuant to section 6109 for any purpose other than compliance with this chapter or who knowingly or intentionally disseminates, publishes or otherwise makes available such information to any person other than the subject of the information commits a felony of the third degree.
    Then straight from the application (bottom of second page):

PRIVACY ACT NOTICE
    Solicitation of this Information Is authorized under Title 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111. Disclosure of your social security number Is voluntary.
    Your social security number, if provided, may be used to verify your identity and prevent misidentification. All Information
    supplied, Including your social security number, is confidential and not subject to public disclosure.
    Neither 6109 nor 6111 authorize informing outside parties of the application, and 6111 explicitly prohibits it. Yet that is exactly what is demanded of applicants all across the State.

(Chester County)

there was a thread here (or maybe one of the other forums i waste time on) somewhere where someone put their sheffif down as a reference because they were giving them the "it has to be from the county" BS

(Lawrence County)

I just turned in my Lawrence Co. application here about 3 weeks ago. If I remember correctly it said somewhere........ actually
    http://www.co.lawrence.pa.us/sheriff...yMainPage.html

See #8.

On the flip side, they were very friendly when I dropped off my application. The sheriff was there, he actually seemed excited that somebody brought one in.

I just moved to the area, although I grew up here, I havent lived here for 10 years. I had the same problem, most people I know that still live here are family, which is the only reason Im back.

Good luck to you!!!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    Sheriff's office rarely follows up with references, but I'd imagine they do so when someone has a questionable history either within the confines of the law or possible mental health issues. Then it may be a judgement call, but you can appeal
    When I lived in wayne county they didn't check. When I moved to Pike county they did contact my references.

The funny thing is Wayne took the full 45 days while Pike gave me my LTCF in about 2 and1/2 weeks.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    The funny thing is Wayne took the full 45 days while Pike gave me my LTCF in about 2 and1/2 weeks.
    The lady at the desk told me that it would take 30 days to get mine. She was pretty specific on that for some reason.

Like I said, they seem to be kind of a pain but were actually very friendly.

(Lawrence County)

I've made a better impression on my neighbors than I thought. I got very happy and enthusiastic endorsements from them for my LTCF application. I'll be dropping it off on my day off of work next week, or tomorrow if I finish my route early enough. I'll be sure to ask why they need in-county references specifically and where they came up with that requirement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12