Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Police pull-over

Can anyone confirm if you must disclose you have a carry permit and are carrying a firearm to an officer in Pennsylvania when pulled over. I would think it a good idea to hand over your permit along with your license however I’ve heard horror stories of being detained and even having a back up officer called who then drew his shotgun!

Thanks,

Top knot

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Police pull-over

You do not have to inform the officer that you are carrying. Its your choice if you want to or not.

(Chester County)

There is no requirement to notify, but if you will be running your hand across your weapon to get your license, I'd notify. You don't know (especially at night), if he's got a rookie partner sneaking up the passenger side and thinking you're grabbing for a gun.

I have my license in hand by the time the officer gets out of his car, so I don't ever notify.

(Lancaster County)

Tis best to not do anything to get oneself pulled over, then you don't have anything to worry about.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Personally, the first thing I do after pulling over is to get out my DL/INS/REG. It's in hand by the time he gets to the window, and I don't have to really move around much to get at them. If I do get pulled over, I won't be notifying unless asked to step out of the vehicle.
    Junior

(Bucks County)

AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only Must Inform states.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Personally, the first thing I do after pulling over is to get out my DL/INS/REG. It's in hand by the time he gets to the window, and I don't have to really move around much to get at them. If I do get pulled over, I won't be notifying unless asked to step out of the vehicle.
    That would be fine,as long as the leo doesn't see you fumbing around in your car and get nervous. That could turn out bad!

(Lebanon County)

I've been pulled over twice, both times I had my wallet laying open on the dash and both hands resting on top of the steering wheel before the officer got to the car. I was carrying concealed both times and did NOT inform. I was polite and cooperative both times, in violation both times, and only got one citation for a lesser violation in one of the encounters. Both encounters ended very well, the officers returned my politeness each time and neither asked about firearms.

You do not have the duty or obligation to inform. If you're asked I'd think it prudent to tell the truth. I'd also think it to be prudent to be polite and cooperative unless you happen upon one of the "bad cops" that we seem to hear so much about, (and I'm sure there are some out there), but I would still be polite and cooperative until such time as the officers requests or demands were out of line. At that point I don't know what I'd do, it would depend on the situation.
    (It makes me feel like the recorder I carry was a waste of money, I hope I never have to change my mind about that).

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Allegheny County)

As others have stated. You have no duty to inform. But don't lie.

Personally I carry well concealed and would only inform if I was asked to step out of the car. At that point I figure a frisking is coming and I would rather the officer know about it then be surprised.

But you are under no obligation to talk to the officer either. It is well whiten your rights just to sit there and shut up. Although I'm betting that is going to lead you to getting detained and/or arrested while the officer figures everything out.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by aggitator View Post
    That would be fine,as long as the leo doesn't see you fumbing around in your car and get nervous. That could turn out bad!
    All of my documents are in a visor organizer. I let them there until they are requested, then I announce what I will be doing before I do it. This placement also allows me to retrieve them and remain 'discreet', even if I am OC within the vehicle.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast