Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default How long for Lawrence County?

I'll be applying this Saturday at the sheriff's office in New Castle and I was wondering if.anyone knew how long it would take to process everything.

My wife and I moved to the area fairly recently, three months ago, and I'm a reservist in the USMC, so I'm not sure if that would make it take any longer.
    Last edited by ShaulWolf; October 5th, 2011 at 11:20 AM.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: How long for Lawrence County?

It took me 3 weeks to get mine. My understanding is that it usually takes around two. Please let us know if they send you a paper with your LTCF stating where you can/cannot carry.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Lawrence County)

Well I finally got time off of work to take care of some things, to include dropping off my application. Let's see how long it takes for things to clear.

(Lawrence County)

Well it took a grand total of 21 days, and they mailed me the card so I didn't have to go in and pick it up. I am going to go in on Monday when I don't have the night shift and ask about the letter they included mandating that I carry concealed, and to ask about why in-county references were needed.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    Well it took a grand total of 21 days
    Fail. This shouldn't take three weeks.

and they mailed me the card so I didn't have to go in and pick it up
    Win. Butler Co did the same. Driving to the courthouse = suckage.

the letter they included mandating that I carry concealed
    FAIL. Seriously... fucking sheriff making shit up.

and to ask about why in-county references were needed.
    FAIL. Sad that some counties still do this shit.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Lawrence County)

I didn't know this was 4chan or I'd have busted out the smileys and such.

21 days is excessive. 14 days is pushing what could be reasonable. Hell, I think you could easily bust this out withing 5 working days or less.

And it is utter crap that the letter states it has to remain concealed. All the LTCF does for me is let me carry in my car or give me the option to conceal it. It's not necessary for me to conceal it, I just have the ability to now.

It's crap that I need in-county references. I don't see how non-residents, new residents, or even the really shy could hope to apply then. Yes, there was a joke tossed in there. I'll be asking about that.

(Delaware County)

21 days is excessive. 14 days is pushing what could be reasonable. Hell, I think you could easily bust this out withing 5 working days or less.

And it is utter crap that the letter states it has to remain concealed. All the LTCF does for me is let me carry in my car or give me the option to conceal it. It's not necessary for me to conceal it, I just have the ability to now.

It's crap that I need in-county references. I don't see how non-residents, new residents, or even the really shy could hope to apply then. Yes, there was a joke tossed in there. I'll be asking about that.
    21 days is excessive in my OPINION as well, but by law, the Sheriff has up to 45 days (not business days) to issue or deny.

You are under no obligation to conceal your firearm simply for getting a LTCF.
    It does allow you to conceal, but it also provides much more (Carrying in Phila, carrying during state of emergency, ability to take a firearm loan, carry in vehicle loaded, etc.)

In county references are NOT required by law. You have no obligation to follow that illegal policy.

Can you please scan and upload the document given to you that told you that you have to conceal? I'd like to follow up with your Sheriff and help him understand the LAW better.

(Lawrence County)

I'll get that scanned and posted when I get back from the night shift.

(Mercer County)

I'll get that scanned and posted when I get back from the night shift.
    I tried to educate them back in January. We discussed the pamphlet it in a thread a while back. This was my experience, copied from that thread:

I too received this extraordinarily informative flyer from Mr. Quahliero. I was very impressed. So impressed, in fact, that after arming myself with cited law and other information, I went down to speak with someone about SEVERAL discrepancies that I found.

When I entered the Sheriff's Office I was greeted by a secretary who was very friendly at first. I told her that I had some concerns about the flyer they seemed to be handing out willy-nilly with their LTCFs. She asked what my concerns were, and I explained.

First: It states that the PA "Permit" is valid in PA.
    True. I explained that I did not in fact take issue with this so much as I felt that it should be made clear that the LTCF is valid in any other state that shares reciprocity with PA.
    She explained this away claiming they just want a hard-n-fast rule that all who have a LTCF can follow.

Second: I started on the list of prohibited areas.
    I stated that carrying into a bar in PA was perfectly legal.
    She then informed me that this was not so, as in Lawrence County, The SHERIFF'S RULE was that carrying in bars is not allowed.
    In response to that particularly impressive nugget of misinformation, I asked her if Mr. Quahliero was Judge Roy Bean's lesser known brother, "The Law East of the Pecos." She didn't think this was funny. I then attempted to explain preemption to her, to no avail.
    I also explained that carry in court houses was in fact legal as long as the firearm is checked in to a locker in the security station, and airports as long as not in the secure areas.
    She agreed, and offered no further comment.

Third (and what really buttered my popcorn): Regarding the mandatory concealment of the firearm.
    I stated that open carry in PA was legal without a permit, at the age of 18. She told me that I need a permit to conceal it, and that the Sheriff doesn't like open carry. She said that the police would always conduct a stop if they witnessed someone openly carrying a firearm.
    I informed her that it really didn't matter if the Sheriff didn't like open carry, as it is legal in PA, and handed her my printouts of minutes of the Commonwealth v Ortiz, and the Commonwealth v Hawkins. I explained to her that these cases reaffirmed the right to openly carry in PA, as well as illustrating to her that no municipality can enact a law or ordinance in supercession of State law. Furthermore, I explained that seeing a man with a gun was not grounds for stopping him. She told me that since I seemed to know everything, there was nothing that she could tell me. Great attitude.

So all in all, my trip down there was quite unsuccessful. I did feel better at first knowing that at least they are aware of what they were doing, and thought that they would possibly change it, but having read your post, I see they are still pulling the same shenannigans. Perhaps a call to Sainato's Office is in order.

ETA: I also printed out and took with me the "PA Gun Rights" pamphlet. I told her that it was extremely informative and accurate, and proposed that they hand them out instead. She just kind of sat there and looked at me, and I left.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Too bad you're not over here in Butler County. Mine took a week, received it in the mail. The sheriff says he's going to have 5 days next year where he'll take applications in Cranberry on a Saturday - Feb, April, June, Aug & October. Don't have to drive to Butler, don't have to take off work.

As for your sheriff, maybe a barrage of letters saying we're out there with voice and video recorders - ask him if he'd like to see his officers on YouTube? Email him some good YouTube links, with the tag line "Your Badge Here"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast