Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Shipping a handgun out of state

I am not sure if this is in the right area, however, this seemed like the most appropriate place to post.

I am living in Texas and have a handgun I purchased while in PA (I am a resident of PA but stationed in Texas in the military) and I don't want to drive up there or fly just for the firearm. I found few references on how to get it to Texas without doing the aforementioned. I am interested in knowing if anyone here has done something similar or knows of someone who has. Thank you.

This is what I found....not too clear to me. Hopefully someone can clear up the term "Common or Contract Carrier" Is this like Fed Ex or UPS??

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm."

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Default Re: Shipping a handgun out of state

yes it right. Common carrier meaning UPS or FedEx and it must go ground overnight unless you have an FFL. If it's a long gun you may send it through the USPS but no handguns. The expense of shipping with UPS and FedEx is roughly $50,most FFL dealers will charge $20-30 and you get the piece of mind that the firearm was last checked in and shipped by someone other than you. UPS and FedEX have stolen guns before, and if you shipped it the police will have some questions for you and your gun gets lost forever. If that happens when the FFL shipped it, the questions are not directed at you and your gun gets replaced.

(York County)

Another little tid bit that I may have left out....I will be remaining in Texas. The gun will be shipped from PA to TX by my mother. Will she be able to take the gun to any FFL with all the proper paperwork for the gun, which it is all there with the gun by the way, and have it shipped to another FFL without me being there? I do not want to travel 1300 miles for a $500 gun.

(Venango County)

Whats funny is in all the times I have shipped guns using a ffl I have never been asked to provide proof that the gun was mine.

(Jefferson County)

If she ships it FFL to FFL, they may end up doing a transfer of ownership. ...which then in TX you'd have to do another transfer(paperwork, background check, etc). If you use the FFL route, you will need very knowledgeable FFL(s) on both ends. The package should be shipped from your name, to your name. The receiving FFL should not open the package because that may constitute a transfer, which then he would have to enter the gun in his bound book.

She can ship the handgun directly to you via the common carrier. Since there is no transfer of ownership(your gun, to you elsewhere) - no FFL is needed.

If you are living on base - you need to check with your Provost Marshal and/or base commander as to whether they allow guns on base, and what conditions.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Has anyone here had an experience, good or bad, with shipping a firearm via Common Carrier? I am interested in doing it this way since my mother is very firearm illiterate and I want to make it as easy on her as possible.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PACountryBoy88 View Post
    Has anyone here had an experience, good or bad, with shipping a firearm via Common Carrier? I am interested in doing it this way since my mother is very firearm illiterate and I want to make it as easy on her as possible.
    She would likely have to use the carrier's depot. Those UPS/Fedex box and shipping store fronts are franchises, not the actual company.

I haven't had to do it in many years, so I don't remember what all is needed in paperwork. I do know that the carriers require it to be shipped overnight due to policy, and that an adult will have to sign for it. ...They wont leave it at your doorstep.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If she ships it FFL to FFL, they may end up doing a transfer of ownership. ...which then in TX you'd have to do another transfer(paperwork, background check, etc). If you use the FFL route, you will need very knowledgeable FFL(s) on both ends. The package should be shipped from your name, to your name. The receiving FFL should not open the package because that may constitute a transfer, which then he would have to enter the gun in his bound book.

She can ship the handgun directly to you via the common carrier. Since there is no transfer of ownership(your gun, to you elsewhere) - no FFL is needed.

If you are living on base - you need to check with your Provost Marshal and/or base commander as to whether they allow guns on base, and what conditions.
    Whoa...hold the phone. Did you just say that you can ship a firearm to yourself...through an FFL...and you won't have to do a transfer as long as they don't open the box? I don't think it works that way.

Your mom can take the gun into any FFL in PA and they may/may not charge you an additional fee on top of the carrier charge to ship the gun to an FFL of your choosing in TX. The gun has to be shipped to an FFL because it is an inter-state transfer. You WILL have to do paperwork in TX to receive your gun. I know...sounds silly to do paperwork on your own gun but it is a transfer.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fazer6PA View Post
    Whoa...hold the phone. Did you just say that you can ship a firearm to yourself...through an FFL...and you won't have to do a transfer as long as they don't open the box? I don't think it works that way.

Your mom can take the gun into any FFL in PA and they may/may not charge you an additional fee on top of the carrier charge to ship the gun to an FFL of your choosing in TX. The gun has to be shipped to an FFL because it is an inter-state transfer. You WILL have to do paperwork in TX to receive your gun. I know...sounds silly to do paperwork on your own gun but it is a transfer.
    Yes, you can. You can ship a gun to yourself in C/O another person. However, some FFL's will not do that. It is a common practice for people to do it who are driving through Canada to Alaska. They ship their guns to a FFL or another person in Care Of, then take possession once they have arrived in Alaska.

FFL's are only needed for a transfer of ownership.

The OP of this thread owns the guns. He wants his mom to ship to him his own guns. There is no transfer of ownership.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rms-additional

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    So long as the FFL doesn't open the package and take possession, he would not be required to add the gun(s) to his bound book. ...thus, wouldn't require another 4473 recorded transfer.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 5th, 2011 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes, you can. You can ship a gun to yourself in C/O another person. However, some FFL's will not do that. It is a common practice for people to do it who are driving through Canada to Alaska. They ship their guns to a FFL or another person in Care Of, then take possession once they have arrived in Alaska.

FFL's are only needed for a transfer of ownership.

The OP of this thread owns the guns. He wants his mom to ship to him his own guns. There is no transfer of ownership.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rms-additional

So long as the FFL doesn't open the package and take possession, he would not be required to add the gun(s) to his bound book. ...thus, wouldn't require another 4473 recorded transfer.
    I think you're mixing apples and oranges here.

YOU can ship a gun to YOURSELF in another state.

A FFL in Alaska can only transfer a handgun to an Alaskan resident.

I don't think ATF would agree that because the FFL didn't open the package the gun need not be logged in his books. The FFL is required to log a gun he receives in a "reasonable time" IIRC.

I think you're looking for loopholes that can wind you up in a Federal prison.The mother needs to send the gun to a FFL in TX who will accept guns from private individuals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast