Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Need help with my 1911

So I just brought my Para 1911 GI Expert home. I noticed that if I rack the slide with an empty mag, the slide lock engages before the slide is fully open. I tested it with a single round in the mag. When I pull the slide back, the round jams due to the slide not fully opening. I believe it has something to do with the mag follower engaging the slide lock to early? Any info, suggestions, help?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Need help with my 1911

Pick up some better mags to test with. Stock mags with most 1911s seem to be junk. I have had good luck with wilson combat and colt mags.

(Erie County)

The slide lock should not keep you from pulling the slide all the way back, with an empty mag inserted. The slide lock engages when the slide returns to battery.

Are you trying to hand cycle the single round out of the mag, or are you letting the slide return on its own force? Try chambering a round from a full mag. Also, new mags should be pre-loaded, before using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

Do not keep re-chambering the same round. The bullet will be driven back into the casing and may cause an over pressure when firing that round.

A. Lube the slide and slide it back and forth many times. I don't let it slam into battery.

B. As Gun mentioned, fully load the mags and let them sit for 24 hours.

C. Lube the slide.

D. Take the gun to a range and fire. Keep it well lubed. A drop of lube on the slide stop is not a bad idea.

Most 1911 newbies tend to hold the slide and guide it back a little when racking. This contributes to the FTF issues we hear about. If your right handed,,,, hold the slide with your left hand and push the pistol down range with your right hand until you pull the slide out of your left hand. This is meant to be done forcefully.

Lube the slide......
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Do not keep re-chambering the same round. The bullet will be driven back into the casing and may cause an over pressure when firing that round.

A. Lube the slide and slide it back and forth many times. I don't let it slam into battery.

B. As Gun mentioned, fully load the mags and let them sit for 24 hours.

C. Lube the slide.

D. Take the gun to a range and fire. Keep it well lubed. A drop of lube on the slide stop is not a bad idea.

Most 1911 newbies tend to hold the slide and guide it back a little when racking. This contributes to the FTF issues we hear about. If your right handed,,,, hold the slide with your left hand and push the pistol down range with your right hand until you pull the slide out of your left hand. This is meant to be done forcefully.

Lube the slide......
    Excuse me did you say lube the slide?
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Philadelphia County)

I've included some pics to demonstrate what I'm talking about. As you can see in the one pic, with the empty mag inserted, that is as far back as the slide will go till it locks up. In the other pic, with no mag inserted, the slide moves all the way back with no trouble. This is why I believe it is the mag causing the hang up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Monroe County)

Have you fired the pistol yet? Load the mags. insert them into the pistol and fire the gun. Did the mags work now? If you haven't fired the gun you don't know if there is a problem or not. I'd venture to guess you are manufacturing the problem the way you are cycling the gun. After all it is made to cycle by firing the cartridge.

(Susquehanna County)

It's always best to remember that it takes 200 to500 rounds to break in any new gun. Usually closer to 200... Any problems encountered will usually disappear after break in. You can lock the slide back, insert your mag, and "slingshot" the slide into battery. Don't baby it. That's a good name in guns. Shouldn't be any problem at all. Shoot it!!! Or, I will if you'd rather... I always volunteer to shoot the new guns!
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

(Delaware County)

Try a drop of oil on the disconnector and see if that helps.

EDIT; cycle the slide a few times to get the oil own in there....
    Last edited by thundrr1; October 5th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
    George,

(Delaware County)

PM sent,,, give me a call before 9:30 PM,,,, or after 9 AM....
    George,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast