Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default AR's for hunting in Pa.

I bought 2 lowers from PSA during their Labor Day Sale. A friend of mine suggested I build them for hunting in Pa. As in being in a good deer cartridge, and built using a side charge upper without a gas system so as to require hand cycling, like a straight pull bolt action. I guess my question is, ( since I don't hunt ), would this interest hunters enough to make it worthwhile?
    Unfortunately, I am disabled, and do these kinds of things to make extra money.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: AR's for hunting in Pa.

You'd want to do them in 6.8 SPC for that kind of purpose and there are side charging uppers made for that. I'm not sure how much interest it would have unless you specifically knew some people asking for it--such effort is probably best directed at helping get the current bill we have passed to open up semi autos for hunting in PA.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

Think you would do better making them up as "tactical" and selling them that way
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    I bought 2 lowers from PSA during their Labor Day Sale. A friend of mine suggested I build them for hunting in Pa. As in being in a good deer cartridge, and built using a side charge upper without a gas system so as to require hand cycling, like a straight pull bolt action. I guess my question is, ( since I don't hunt ), would this interest hunters enough to make it worthwhile?
    I thought you couldn't use an AR for hunting in PA

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    At present, no, but if we can overcome the anti gun people, the anti hunting people, and the Luddites in our own camp who help the former two, we might get that changed fairly soon.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    At present, no, but if we can overcome the anti gun people, the anti hunting people, and the Luddites in our own camp who help the former two, we might get that changed fairly soon.
    The OP is disabled, he may fall into the exception that allows him to hunt with a Semi-auto.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

You can't use a semi-auto. Sounds like the OP is contemplating building a manual feed AR, which I think would make it legal for hunting.

What is the reasoning used to distinguish a semi-auto and say a Remington shotgun?

Semi-auto shotguns illegal as well?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    You can't use a semi-auto. Sounds like the OP is contemplating building a manual feed AR, which I think would make it legal for hunting.
    What is the reasoning used to distinguish a semi-auto and say a Remington shotgun?

Semi-auto shotguns illegal as well?
    Hunting with a semi-auto is legal under certain conditions. We discussed it recently here: http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/14...d-hunting.html

There's links there to the state late that disabled persons can hunt with a semi-auto.

Not sure about the shotgun question, as I'm not a hunter myself, but I would assume the difference is in what you're hunting for. Ducks and Geese, I think a semi-auto shotgun is allowed, deer, no.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lycoming County)

-such effort is probably best directed at helping get the current bill we have passed to open up semi autos for hunting in PA.
    Is there a bill out there considering opening up semi-autos for hunting in Pa. or are you saying "if it does happen?"

Do all other states allow semi-autos or are there some that do not as Penna.?

Just curious ...

Thanks.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast