Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dedicated AK47/74 training classes

I know I am new on here but I am not new to gun forums or shooting. I am frequently on other gun forums, one of those being NJGF (New Jersey gun forums).

There are a few shooting schools in NJ, but I thought there would be more 'tactical' schools in PA. I shoot at two ranges in eastern PA because it's much more relaxed in this state!

I love the AK platform but unfortunately can't get out to take any classes on it. Yes, there are defensive rifle classes that allow you to bring any rifle, and sure, there are PLENTY of AR dedicated shooting classes, but all the AK classes I see and hear about are out west in AZ and Texas and whatnot.

I could probably round up about 4-6 guys for the class, and maybe I could gain some interest on here as well? It would be a beginner-type class, but that doesn't mean we want to shoot most of the time. Some drills we would like to go through are shooting drills, clearing malfunc's, RELOADS, shooting on the move, using cover, etc.

My question is, has anyone ever taken a specific AK training class in PA before? If not, have you ever heard of any one taking a class? What about training schools? Do you know of any professional/good/respectful training academies in PA?

Even if a good training school doesn't have an AK class, I am sure I could get them to organize a private group training class.

Let me know your input.
    Last edited by NattyDrez; October 4th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dedicated AK47/74 training classes

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I actually saw this on his website a couple weeks ago.

The only thing stopping me is taking the whole trip down there. That is about an 8hr drive from me, then figuring out hotel options for that night, and I don't know the gun laws in regards to transferring guns through the states I'd drive through (PA, MD, VA).

I really just wanna say screw it and sign up for it. But I would probably only go if I could get a friend or someone else to tag along for the ride.

(Allegheny County)

Even with the number of courses I take locally I still drive a few times a year for classes out if state.

Your protected for transport under fed law . Just rifle and ammo seperate for the trip . I normally lock the gun case just to be safe for MD.

If you haven't taken a Vickers course yet you don't know what your missing , and Larry is a serious " gun guy " .
    Jump on it .
    Post over on FTT too , maybe someone will car pool . Check their NJ forum too .

(Montgomery County)

It is probably about a few years off from becoming a formal thing, but a few guy I work with and a few of my other instructor friends from the military are getting our civilian instructor certs and will be trying to start up a training facility in S.E. PA. This was one of the area's I hoped to address was setting up a specific AK familiarization course, as most people are only familiar with that platform in a recreation sense rather than a tactical sense. While range time may be an issue to start, I do intend on doing private training starting the beginning of 2012. If you are interested PM me, let me know what you would like in terms of end goal results, as well as if you would like to know my list of credentials. If after that you want to proceed, I will focus on developing that course and put the others on hold. From there we can hammer out the other details as well.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NattyDrez View Post
    My question is, has anyone ever taken a specific AK training class in PA before? If not, have you ever heard of any one taking a class? What about training schools? Do you know of any professional/good/respectful training academies in PA?
    http://www.argivedefense.com/

...about once a year has an AK-specific course, at a range in the PA Lehigh Valley (door to door via I-78 from central Jersey).

I've never taken a class from them, but those who have are generally positive about them.

Another tack is to head to lower NH (ballpark 5 hrs from you) -- Sigarms academy and www.neshooters.com operate from there.

Also consider contacting Freddy at http://www.bhtcorps.com/

email is BHTCorps@gmail.com

Shawn

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    Also consider contacting Freddy at http://www.bhtcorps.com/

email is BHTCorps@gmail.com

Shawn
    That's a training group I can vouch for.

I'm not aware of an AK-dedicated class they offer, but now that you mention it, their 2-day carbine class will also take in AKs, with an AK segment if there's demand for it. Come to think of it, one could really do worse than take an AK to the upcoming (10/22, 10/23) 2-day class:

http://bhtcorps.com/2DayTacticalCarbine102211.html

...it's close to the PA-Tpk (about 1 hr inland from the PA/NJ border, I'd guess), and very reasonably priced.

I think this is the best, and certainly soonest, option.

ETA: IMO, for a first formal carbine class, the fundamentals are at last 80% the same across the various mil-pattern rifles. And these instructors will take the time to flesh out the other 20%.
    Last edited by dgg9; October 4th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.

(Bucks County)

"The best is the enemy of the good."

My $0.02:

The main thing is just to get out there and take the best available class that's soon/affordable/close, and not wait for the 100% AK-specific class that may take a while to arrive.

Wow guys, definitely overwhelmed with the amount of info you provided so far! Thank you nonetheless.

Going over a couple thing, the Vickers class will definitely be the top notch class to attend. It's still in the back of my mind, but a couple things make me hesitate. I wouldn't mind driving 3-4 hours for a class, but 7hrs is pushing it. It is more than I'd like to pay for a class, but considering it is two FULL days of shooting, it's not so bad. But add in 1krds of rifle and pistol ammo ($250), gas round trip (almost $100), a hotel for one night ($75?), and anything else, and I am looking at up to 1,000 bucks just for a two day course. Now I know that is not JUST a two day course, it's one of the best courses out there. But that price is a wee-bit out of my range...at least right now.

I am checking out the other shooting schools as I type this. Argive Defense's AK class already passed (was back in Sept) so I will be on the look out for next year's. BlackHatTrainingCorps looks like an awesome shooting school...they have a tactical carbine class in two weeks for a very reasonable price. AND it's only 90min from me. The only thing is I am not sure if I will have either of my AK's running by then.

I guess right now, dgg9 has a good point that I might get more out of taking a general defensive rifle class or numerous classes rather than waiting (which could be a while) for an AK-specific class.

And for the record, my polish milled is in parts as the wood was sent out to be redone and I was planning on sending it out next week for some general work. I just ordered a Waffen 47 yesterday and by the time I get it, neuter it per NJ standards, I won't be able to practice with it before that class at BHTC which I would prefer.

We will see what happens. If I don't get to attend that class, I still have Vickers' class as an option. And now that dgg brought up that valid reasoning, I might just be on the search for a good school that can provide me with good rifle training (and pistol too in the future).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast