Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default DE-Cocker Failure

Whenever I have activated a de-cocker on a gun I look where the expected bullet hole is going to appear. There is no replacement for safety! So far no holes have appeared.
    Lately I have been wondering. Is there a documented case of one failing? Is it possible to build somthing that will not fail?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: DE-Cocker Failure

Even if it fails and slams into the firing pin, most pistols have a stop on the pin that is deactivated when the trigger is pulled, so the pistol won't shoot during a failure. But you are smart to always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

(Berks County)

Your practice is a very good one to have. I ran a quick google search and did not uncover anything documenting a failure. I am not familure with all forms of decockers but I will speak on behalf of the Beretta style decocker. The decocking lever was placed where it was for a very good reason. The firing pin is actually bumped by a second pin that is placed on a bar connected to the safety. When you press the safety down the bar rolls up wards and the hammer falls onto a transfer bar that prohibits it from contacting even the safety bar. If for some reason there was a partical inbetween the hammer and the safety bar the extra pin rolls up with the safety. So in essence there is absolotely no way the hammer can come into contact with the firing pin during a decocking motion on a Beretta 92. Pay attention to your firearm and I am sure you will notice various redundencies on your own selection.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro View Post
    Whenever I have activated a de-cocker on a gun I look where the expected bullet hole is going to appear.
    Does that mean you are looking into the barrel as you activate the de-cocker?

It is my understanding that a de-cocker mechanism acts as an interrupt between the firing pin and striking mechanism to release the compressed striking mechanism spring.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cloud View Post

It is my understanding that a de-cocker mechanism acts as an interrupt between the firing pin and striking mechanism to release the compressed striking mechanism spring.
    NO ! I am looking at where I expect the point of impact will be.

(Delaware County)

NO ! I am looking at where I expect the point of impact will be.
    I was hoping that was what you meant lol.

(Montgomery County)

Lately I have been wondering. Is there a documented case of one failing? Is it possible to build somthing that will not fail?
    It's a mechanical device, so a decocker can fail, although it's pretty rare. The CZ-52's decocker has been written up a lot for potential failures; I don't use the decocker on mine just for that reason. I think S&W's recall of the PPK/S a couple years back was related to a problem with the safety/decocker. So they CAN fail, and I think you are smart to always follow safety rule #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cloud View Post

I ALWAYs point my gun at my junk when I de-cock it. Then if it does fail it really lives up to it's name!
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Anything man made can and will fail. It is why manuals say to point the gun in a safe direction, no matter what you are doing with it. Was this a serious question?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Anything man made can and will fail. It is why manuals say to point the gun in a safe direction, no matter what you are doing with it. Was this a serious question?
    I think it was,on the note he was looking for documented cases of this failure and actually how common it may or may not be?

The question of, can anything built never to fail, is a little come on now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast