Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: DE-Cocker Failure

300WM & Shiloh nailed it, Anything man-made can and will fail, growing up I heard stories of P38 bring backs from the war failing in this manner. I never met or spoke with anyone this ever happened too, So it may be pure rumor. Supposely as the story goes, The Slave labor the Germans were using were sabotaging the pistols or there was also the brittle firing pins being used due to Wartime shortages, Apparently the Germans weren't turning out their best stuff in 44-45 prioe to the end of the War, It sounds reasonable, But again I never personally witnessed it.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Monroe County)

Follow the the 4 golden rules of gun handling and you will most likely never have a safety related problem with your guns.

But the question you asked is an academic one that can benefit both old and new shooters alike and i am glad that you asked that question.

Yes , decockers can fail. Someone mentioned the the CZ52 but i'd also like to mention the Walther p-38 which can have a decocker failure if the "bumps" that prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin is worn down over time.

(Allegheny County)

I also read of the P38 de-cocker failure. They did improve the fireing pin and I have not heard of a failure with the "new" pin.

The Beretta 92FS has a de-cocker that has a two piece fireing pin. One part of the pin rotates with the de-cocker so when the hammer drops the fireing pin in the de-cocker is away from the fireing pin next to the live round. Plus there is a fireing pin block that will not allow the fireing pin to move unless the trigger is puiled.

But, the Titanic was built to be UN-sinkable..... American cars are built to fall apart at the end of the warranty period - YMMV........ And Government projects are built by the lowest bidder.....

Pointing a weapon in a safe direction when you are not meaning to shoot it is always good form.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12