Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default I think mom might be coming around...

So my parents came for a visit this weekend from the great frozen northland (Canada). They know I carry and have expressed their distaste in the past, I gave them some info and we let it be for a long time.
    However, on this last visit we went for a walk around the neighborhood and on the way back we crossed paths with 6 thug wannabes. I wasn't worried there is a highschool nearby and the kids are always around, but I was paying attention as usual.
    They didn't do anything untoward, other than look like they enjoyed being "tough".
    *And now the good part*
    As we pass them my mom leans over and says,
    "I'm guessing you're..."
    I say, "of course."

She says
    "I hate to say it... but it does make me feel better..."

I didn't pursue it, but it did give me hope. Thanks for listening.

(Centre County)

Default Re: I think mom might be coming around...

I will leave the "thug wannabes" out of the discussion for the time being.

I am so glad that Mom is beginning to get it.

It is a shame that it (yes this is a broad generalization) always has to come to someone PERSONALLY feeling threatened BEFORE it finally dawns on them that others may have those same concerns.

If we as humans could only em·pa·thize with others instead of always acting on emotion alone......

em·pa·thy

   /ˈɛmθi/ Show Spelled[em-puh-thee] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empathy

This is no dig against Mom. WE ALL do this to some extent I suspect.

AND my Mom was this way for years. Took her a long time to accept me CC then OC. I do not think she ever really understood it though.

I am happy for your Mom's stride forward!

(Dauphin County)

"The F00L" makes a very good point here.

It is extremely unfortunate that in order to bring someone with an "anti" mentality around, they really have to experience the fear and distrust followed by the relief of knowing they have someone prepared to protect them.

My wife hated the idea when I started carrying. She would ask me before we left the house if I was really going to actually be carrying a gun, as if I was dressing like a clown to leave the house. After a few weeks of it, she started to adjust and eventually started to get curious. Now she asks what gun I have and sometimes tries to guess without looking. She still isn't really a fan of guns, but she has no problem knowing they are in the house and that we have the ability to protect ourselves and our own home.

I'm glad that your mom is coming around. It's a step in the right direction.

A few thoughts:

Before I owned guns, I collected and carried folding knives (mostly Spyderco). My parents, who I lived with at the time in NJ, were very much against it. However, occasionally, when something needed to cut or opened, they would ask me first, 'Hey could you cut this with your knife'. Many times, I would refuse...If they were so against my knife carry, they would have to remain consistent in their beliefs and go search for the scissors; if my knife carry is so bad, then do not ask to benefit from it. My parents have come around to accepting both my knife carry and now my firearm carry.

I have aquaintences/friends (through my gf) who are stoically anti-gun; so much so, that I am not welcome in their home with my sidearm (I must be disarmed). Fine with me...however, my general attitude is similar to the sign that says 'my neighbor is anti-gun...burgalars do not worry, I won't use MY firearms to intervene in your invasion of their home'. I'm sure that if it actually came down to defending gun-grabber friends, I would do so if it were justifiable...but that sort of stuff gets my blood boiling.

My gf (who I live with) was initially against my carrying everyday, everywhere. Gradually, she learned how her initial fears were unnwarranted. I now carry all the time. While we were watching the news a few weeks ago, the story about that couple who was robbed in Philly, and then the boyfriend had to watch as his gf was raped by the perp, came on the tv. As the details of the case were explained, she turned to me and said, 'I feel a lot safer knowing that you carry'.