Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default .410 shotgun as home defense???

Hey y'all! I am thinking of getting a .410 shotgun for home defense. I am thinking of using the winchester PDX1 shells (3 "slugs" and 6 bb pellets). I was wondering what you guys/gals thought of this idea. Currently I use a 20 gauge or a .45. Any and all thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I am ultimately concerned of over penetration.

Thanks,
    Mike

(York County)

Default Re: .410 shotgun as home defense???

Not a bad choice. Shotgun is always good. I'd probably go with a more traditional buck shot load, but PDX is probably OK.

Of course, I believe even a .22lr is a good choice if you shoot it well.

In my opinion, anything deemed to be an "overpenatrator" is far superior in delivering an event ending trauma to the body of someone intent on causing you or your loved ones death or severe bodily injury. What falls in the middle? What serves the purpose without injuring the very family you are protecting? What are the chances that you will have to fire into a spot where overpenatration would be an issue? I will take my chances with overpenatration for something that has a much higher chance of stopping an immediate threat. I will be useless to my family if I am dead.
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    In my opinion, anything deemed to be an "overpenatrator" is far superior in delivering an event ending trauma to the body of someone intent on causing you or your loved ones death or severe bodily injury. What falls in the middle? What serves the purpose without injuring the very family you are protecting? What are the chances that you will have to fire into a spot where overpenatration would be an issue? I will take my chances with overpenatration for something that has a much higher chance of stopping an immediate threat. I will be useless to my family if I am dead.
    Jules
    While I agree with your thought about stopping power, I was wondering if you would think a .410 would be a good choice for stopping power without having over penetration. Like I said, I currently use a 20 gauge (slug) but usually would reach for the 1911 whenever I hear a bump in the night. So I'm thinking a .410 would be similar to a .45.

If the .45 and 410 are similar in ballistics, what advantage would you have using the 410? To me, the .45 is easier to manipulate, easier to carry with a light, easier to dial the phone while holding all with a capacity of at least 7. It seems to me that you should use your current set up.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

Here is a thread that hashed and rehashed the idea of .410 as a hd calibre. There are some good points made and a little filler in there.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shotguns-43/2...e-shotgun.html
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Centre County)

I would try No. 8 birdshot in your 20 gauge. At most home defense distances it has enough energy to do the job, but there's less risk of overpenetration. It's still a risk, but much less than 00 buckshot or a .45 slug.

Everything I've read on the issue indicates that heavy, slow projectiles like buckshot and .45 ACP are the worst for overpenetration, since they often don't expand and have significant momentum. On the other hand, high-speed, lightweight rounds such as the .223 tend to break up or yaw and lose energy quickly when they strike drywall or other typical house components (they'll still blast through a standard interior wall, but will have much less energy coming out the other side).

IIRC, box o' truth (do a quick Google search) has some videos demonstrating this.

(Berks County)

Are you thinking about the many .410 revolvers out there or just a long gun?

(Montgomery County)

Right now I'm just thinking about the long gun. I've tossed around the idea of one of the handguns, but I think it's too much for my wife to handle (at least I'm afraid she'll think that) and she wouldn't pick it up. I have an AR but again worry about it going through the other side. I may look into the bird shot for the 20 gauge. The thing I liked about the pdx was that it was 3 discs and six pellets. So undecided...

I use to have a 20ga breech loading shotty behind my bedroom door for my fiancé to use if need be. Simple easy.. Issue was(ONE SHOT). So I got her the ruger lcp for her night side gun. The fiancé is small and scared of recoil and I think guns in gen. But I went over with her, the function and how 2's on all of them that she might have to use... If you get a .410 make sure a few trusted family members know how to use it and know the function. Personally .410 shotty will take down a horse at 10 yards, I doubt you will shoot any further in your home. Bird shot is even practical at 10 yards for stopping power. Do what you think is best for your situation.

ΑΣΦ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast