Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: .410 shotgun as home defense???

She did it. 3 attackers at close range. 2 hits, 3 fleeing perps.

It's clearly not ideal, but it's hard to argue with success. No one wants to get shot in the face with a shotgun if they can help it.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    She did it. 3 attackers at close range. 2 hits, 3 fleeing perps.

It's clearly not ideal, but it's hard to argue with success. No one wants to get shot in the face with a shotgun if they can help it.
    I'm glad this woman protected herself & she's OK. This needs to happen more often. I'm sure Dr. Pettit in Cheshire CT would have been happy to have a .410 in his house a couple years ago.

The perps fled. They were able to function. They just as well could have continued the assault....had they been more determined/bad ass. The wounds did not put them down. IMO...if they had been 3 hard assed criminals....this woman would possibily have had real problems. I feel there was a bit of luck involved. If she used birdshot.....these 2 assholes likely had only shallow fleshwounds.

Once you're down to the power level of a .410.....why not just use a handgun??.....or a short compact carbine....semi auto or lever action.....that fires handgun ammo?? I just don't see any sense in buying a .410 (long gun) for home defense.

I like a 12 ga as part of my HD plan because it hits way harder than any of my handguns. I give up the portability of a handgun for lots of kenetic energy/stopping power. A .410 lacks this benefit.
    Last edited by reverserboy; October 12th, 2011 at 06:05 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Well, I bought a Remington 870 12 Ga and am going to use that with 00 Buckshot. I started really looking at how my house was set up and determined shoot/no shoot zones- unless absolutely critical. I think talking about this has helped me decide how I plan to act if need be. But, now I know. And you know what they say about knowing...

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby1099 View Post
    Well, I bought a Remington 870 12 Ga and am going to use that with 00 Buckshot. I started really looking at how my house was set up and determined shoot/no shoot zones- unless absolutely critical. I think talking about this has helped me decide how I plan to act if need be. But, now I know. And you know what they say about knowing...
    Don't neglect to run dry practices through your house with your weapon(s). Tight corners can be a problem with a shotgun. Learn how to "slice the pie". Identify those spots you can't see, but would be the spot a BG can ambush you. Know your escape routes. Learn how to use a flashlight. It can be disorientating to a BG but at the same time it can also become a target for them. Just so we're clear on the idea, dry run = unloaded weapon.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby1099 View Post

..GO JOE..
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Have you or her actually shot the LCP?

Its actually a lot harder to shoot than something like a G19.

Small and light does not make a gun easy to shoot.
    It really depends on the config of the LCP and the rounds you're using.

With standard pressure .380 ammo, a +1 magazine (allowing more grip purchase) and a good laser, an LCP can be shot with amazing precision for the type of firearm it is.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234