Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: .410 shotgun as home defense???

Birdshot is for the birds.

I'm not trusting it to stop a threat. I'd rather use an AR with the proper load for home defense than birdshot. Hell, I'd rather use a .44 magnum...

As far as .410 goes, you aren't getting less velocity than a 20 gauge. If recoil is an issue than yes, a .410 is great for a small women, child, or an elderly person. But if you already have a 20 gauge there really isn't any reason to go to a .410, because you're looking at the same velocity in both, but more pellets in the 20. I know if I'm using a shotgun for home defense I want it flinging as many projectiles as possible.
    Last edited by rwb1500; October 3rd, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

The reality of a HD event is chock full of unknowns. From the criminal invading your home with ill and unprepared intent to other household members moving about without your knowledge. Underpowered firearms might help you not kill a loved one by accident, but that same gun might not be enough to stop a determined invader. So for each of us we consider our weapon with such variables in mind. Me, I have opted for 12g 00 buck from an 18.25" barrel. I use that gun for trap so I feel I know it well and that it has a very natural feel for me. I won't second guess what others opt to use but I do know what I have opted for.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby1099 View Post
    Right now I'm just thinking about the long gun. I've tossed around the idea of one of the handguns, but I think it's too much for my wife to handle (at least I'm afraid she'll think that) and she wouldn't pick it up. I have an AR but again worry about it going through the other side. I may look into the bird shot for the 20 gauge. The thing I liked about the pdx was that it was 3 discs and six pellets. So undecided...
    how about an AR in .410? they do make them

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Birdshot is for the birds.
    I'm not trusting it to stop a threat. I'd rather use an AR with the proper load for home defense than birdshot. Hell, I'd rather use a .44 magnum...

As far as .410 goes, you aren't getting less velocity than a 20 gauge. If recoil is an issue than yes, a .410 is great for a small women, child, or an elderly person. But if you already have a 20 gauge there really isn't any reason to go to a .410, because you're looking at the same velocity in both, but more pellets in the 20. I know if I'm using a shotgun for home defense I want it flinging as many projectiles as possible.
    At the distances you would have to fire within a home, Bird shot is still densely packed and still has enough mass and velocity to get the job done. It is a good cheap alternative to Slugs or 00buck. Or you could do the Cut Shell... ( I dont Advise) but you could do it...

ΑΣΦ

Time again to make all those Youtube videos shooting drywall seem like a waste...

Overpenetration is a hyped up myth.

Why? Because you are far more likely to completely miss your target and hit an innocent than you are having the projectile pass completely through them and continue on with enough force to seriously injure a bystander. Any round that would be stopped by a double layer of drywall is not stout enough to reliably put down an attacker. And finally, in a HD scenario, you should already have your home set up with known shoot/no shoot zones and lanes, the will keep the downrange safe while maximizing your chance of winning the encounter.

You mentioned your wife might be squeamish with a Judge (I wish I knew how to type that with an overblown southern hick accent). Both ARs and 20ga shotguns are excellent long arms for the recoil sensitive, with my favor going towards the AR for it's high rate of fire and large capacity.

(Montgomery County)

After watching tons of youtube videos. I am really starting to consider the .410. 12 gauge just seems way too much for drywall. So conflicted. Maybe I'll just use grenades...

(Westmoreland County)

I'm not reconsidering my 12ga, my steps lead directly down to my front door and I'm not going downstairs to chase a home invader unless loved ones are down there, but there is a well hidden yet quickly accessible gun on the back side of the house as well. Being that my house is longer than it is wide, it's full of death holes (fatal funnels). I'm taking cover and protecting what's most important, I give a damn about a 32'' TV they might want to walk out with. If they want to try and come up the stairs before the police come, well... :-) GOOD LUCK.

It's about planning and training, the hardware doesn't do the smart work.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby1099 View Post
    After watching tons of youtube videos. I am really starting to consider the .410. 12 gauge just seems way too much for drywall. So conflicted. Maybe I'll just use grenades...
    The grenades are are the best if you check out some stats I obtatined they do not over penetrate Go with some you and your wife feel comfortable with regardless of "safety" concerns because if you adapt to something neither of you are very proficient with it's unsafer then not hitting your target , and like the others said just know your house apartment and where you could "miss" into without killing everyone

(Lebanon County)

Mossberg makes a nice 410 for home defense.Saw it at a gun show this weekend.Me personally i would use my EAA 12 gauge over anything else simply cause im not the greatest with handguns and it is small enough to handle indoors.My 2nd choice would be my high piont TS995 or my marlin camp 9 for the same reasons.

(Westmoreland County)

I always carry my 357 or 44 when at home but sometimes it get's in the way with what I'm doing and then my trusty SBS stoeger is at my side. That sucker will cut anything in half at 15 feet.
    Beats a .410 anytime.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast