Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rifle Design

(Chester County)

Default Rifle Design

Well I couldn't sleep last night so I tried thinking of something happy to relax me to sleep so I thought about rifles. I thought it would be could to mesh certain qualities of each rifle to make a super gun. Any input or thought? Its fun to fantasize. I was thinking of a rifle with an op rod system like the garand, The ability to change barrels like the mg42, the simple design of an sks, the accuracy of a 1903, and the modern weight and feel of an AR15.

Yea its probably a stupid thread but it is cool to think about. Any ideas on what this beast would look like?

(Bucks County)

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Rifle Design

at the price of a 10/22.

Default Re: Rifle Design

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
    Well I couldn't sleep last night so I tried thinking of something happy to relax me to sleep so I thought about rifles. I thought it would be could to mesh certain qualities of each rifle to make a super gun. Any input or thought? Its fun to fantasize. I was thinking of a rifle with an op rod system like the garand, The ability to change barrels like the mg42, the simple design of an sks, the accuracy of a 1903, and the modern weight and feel of an AR15.

Yea its probably a stupid thread but it is cool to think about. Any ideas on what this beast would look like?
    So you're going to make a firearm that's simple in design, but uses an op rod system and has the ability to quickly change barrels in the field, all while maintaining light weight? Frankly, the desire to have an op rod system and quick change barrel system is mind bogglingly complex (unless you're taking the op rod with the barrel), and it would be heavy. If you want the ability to switch calibers, an AR with multiple uppers is the best way to do it. If you're changing the barrel due to prolonged suppressing fire, you need a LMG, which will be heavy, and not require the high accuracy requirements listed (and why list the 1903? There are more accurate, modern bolt actions out there).
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.