Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Polished slides . Should I or shouldn't I?

I have a gen 2 glock that has a good bit of slide wear. I was ponderin the idea of polishing it . Anyone have advise to polish or not to polish ? Any down sides to a shinny slide? And success stories of polishing? Any help would be great , thanks. I am trying to weight the pros and cons. Or should I leave it alone and refinish the slide later on down te road?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Polished slides . Should I or shouldn't I?

I don't know what the steel is for the Glock slides, but if it is carbon steel you will have to deal with rust issues should you do so. ...which is probably why is is coated to begin with.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

No you should not, if you want a SS slide buy one, Glock finish is tough as nails anyway so you are only going mess things up and expose it to rust if you get most of it off. You can buy anything almost for a Glock. Buy SS Slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    No you should not, if you want a SS slide buy one, Glock finish is tough as nails anyway so you are only going mess things up and expose it to rust if you get most of it off. You can buy anything almost for a Glock. Buy SS Slide.
    Not bad advice, but if it already has some wear marks, why not get it bead blasted (the much cheaper route) and then polish it. You can polish it with a Dremel and the right attachments, or do it by hand (the long, hard, but done with pride way). Bead blasting will get in the nooks and crannies. Be willing to keep it oiled all the time or you will have to repolish at the mere hint of rust, otherwise, it will pit on you.

If you like that look, Cerakote it, or just let Glock reparkerize it for you. I like the SS slide look, if it is SS. JMHO
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Indiana County)

A professionally done, highly polished slide will not rust like most people think if kept oiled with a quality protectant.
    Using it as a carry piece in close proximity to skin/sweat/humidity will require more care though.

Most bolts on hunting rifles are nothing more than highly polished steel.
    Same goes for knives, some bayonets, ect... Nothing more than high polished steel.

I have a custom Mauser that has never been blued, just polished, it looks like nickel plating and has not turned into a rust bucket. It was assembled about 15 years ago, I polished it with the intention of getting it blued but just never got around to it.

However, you may want to contact Glock, I believe they will refinish the slide for a minimal cost.

The Glock tenifer "finish" is impregnated in the steel. It is not the black finish visible on the exterior of the pistol. I dont know how much polishing would be required to get down to "bare" steel.
    Jules

(Cumberland County)

ditto ar15jules. glocks tenifer finish is indeed impregnated into the steel. if you send it to glock they will refinish the slide for you(good as new) if memory serves me right they will do it for around 80$. compare the early gen glocks to the later models and you will see a different finish. the early ones have a parkerized type finish and the later ones have a smoother teflon feeling finish.

(Monroe County)

No do not do it , you will ruin the Melonite in the Tennifer , even though it loks worn the Melonite is still doing its job protecting the steel.

If the Worn Finish bothers you send it to Glock to get it re-done.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    No do not do it , you will ruin the Melonite in the Tennifer , even though it loks worn the Melonite is still doing its job protecting the steel.

If the Worn Finish bothers you send it to Glock to get it re-done.
    Melonite = Tennifer.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Besides all of the reasons above....it just looks fucking stupid. Sorry.
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast