Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Comparing Ammo with a State Trooper brought some people to a stop.

My wife and I went to the Farm Day celebration and health fair at the Clinton Co fair grounds. They have different activities throughout the day. I was wearing my shooting vest and was not OC. I was helping my father with a couple of his high strung horses. Had the vest on to keep horse hair off my Kimber.

During a break my wife said she had talked to a guy who we worked with over 24 years ago at the detention center. He is now a State Trooper and will retire after 25 years next year. My wife said they talked about guns and that she told him we both carried.

We went to see him at the Child safey seat demo area the State Police had set up. He was in full uniform. We had a long talk about various things. Towards the end I ask him which Glock he was carrying. He said it shoots 45 Gap. My wife had never seen 45 gap ammo. We had talked about the casing being shorter than my 45 acp and he did not like the newer Gap ammo.

He got one of his spare magazines out to show my wife the 45 Gap. I got one of my spare magazines out to show her the size difference. As we did this I noticed 2 guys stop dead in there tracks. One lady, sitting near by, mouth dropped open. I guess it would have looked a little strange having a State Trooper and a citizen standing there showing a women the ammo in their spare magazines. Mine was bigger. My wife and the Trooper did not notice the crowd but I sure did.

I had to get back to the horses so I left with my wife and him still talking. My wife said she did not notice the people around us when we were talking to him. I thought I would pass this one on. It made me smile when I though about it later.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Comparing Ammo with a State Trooper brought some people to a stop.

Haha, great story. Still goes to show there are so many people out there who get shocked and can't handle seeing ammo or guns in public.

(Northampton County)

Geez, don't you know you're not supposed to talk to the police?

This is the kind of "encounter" that needs to happen, and this is what "encounters" need to evolve into. To all the detractors that say we shouldn't talk to the police, what they don't realize is that the less they are exposed to sane gun owners who are just regular people, the more desensitized the will become to us.

(Bedford County)

lawyer up !!

---

Very good story !!
    I am not a lawyer !!

I think maybe you read into the situation incorrectly. Perhaps the people who stopped are generally interested in firearms but have always been afraid to seek out more information. In seeing you, along with a police officer, openly discussion guns, maybe they thought it was some sort of information session that they could take part it.

You said the officer was presenting child-seat safety, maybe the onlookers though he was discussing gun safety as well. I think you may have missed an opportunity to talk to those people as well, and possibly answer some questions on guns and carrying.

Then again, maybe you were correct and they were scared out of their minds. We'll never know for sure.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I think maybe you read into the situation incorrectly. Perhaps the people who stopped are generally interested in firearms but have always been afraid to seek out more information. In seeing you, along with a police officer, openly discussion guns, maybe they thought it was some sort of information session that they could take part it.

You said the officer was presenting child-seat safety, maybe the onlookers though he was discussing gun safety as well. I think you may have missed an opportunity to talk to those people as well, and possibly answer some questions on guns and carrying.

Then again, maybe you were correct and they were scared out of their minds. We'll never know for sure.
    You maybe right but I never said they were scared. They just stopped dead in their tracks. I think they were all just really surprised. I could not have talked to the guys. I had to get back to the horses. This all took place at the very end of our conversation. The first 85% of the conversation was about his family and former residents from where we worked that we have seen over the last 24 years.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Beaver County)

or the people were all appalled and disgusted with .45 GAP and it's cost over .45 ACP

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    My wife and I went to the Farm Day celebration and health fair at the Clinton Co fair grounds. They have different activities throughout the day. I was wearing my shooting vest and was not OC. I was helping my father with a couple of his high strung horses. Had the vest on to keep horse hair off my Kimber.

During a break my wife said she had talked to a guy who we worked with over 24 years ago at the detention center. He is now a State Trooper and will retire after 25 years next year. My wife said they talked about guns and that she told him we both carried.

We went to see him at the Child safety seat demo area the State Police had set up. He was in full uniform. We had a long talk about various things. Towards the end I ask him which Glock he was carrying. He said it shoots 45 Gap. My wife had never seen 45 gap ammo. We had talked about the casing being shorter than my 45 acp and he did not like the newer Gap ammo.

He got one of his spare magazines out to show my wife the 45 Gap. I got one of my spare magazines out to show her the size difference. As we did this I noticed 2 guys stop dead in there tracks. One lady, sitting near by, mouth dropped open. I guess it would have looked a little strange having a State Trooper and a citizen standing there showing a women the ammo in their spare magazines. Mine was bigger. My wife and the Trooper did not notice the crowd but I sure did.

I had to get back to the horses so I left with my wife and him still talking. My wife said she did not notice the people around us when we were talking to him. I thought I would pass this one on. It made me smile when I though about it later.
    Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post

OMG

Child safety and ammo within a mile of each other!
    Think of the children! What's this world coming to?

Good encounter story, thanks for sharing.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lackawanna County)

Now THAT is a good police encounter!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lancaster County)

So did you ask him what his opinion was on citizens carrying?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast