Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Any 1919 builders here?

Would like to set up a possible build party some weekend if there are enough people close enough to not be a PIA to hook up.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves

(Bucks County)

I'm about to start a build as soon as I get around to hitting Harbor Frieght for a 12-ton shop press to do the rivets. Unfortunately, you're pretty much at the other end of the state.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus
    I'm about to start a build as soon as I get around to hitting Harbor Frieght for a 12-ton shop press to do the rivets. Unfortunately, you're pretty much at the other end of the state.
    if you want a cheaper solution on the rivets lemme know and I will be more than willing to help you out. Damn shame being on other side of the state though, but feel free to ask if ya get in a bind.

(Berks County)

Mine has been built going on a year now. No need for a press...just a SOLID working surface...a bucking bar for behind the rivets and a hammer.

Modified an old chisel on the lathe, put a concave indentation in it to give the rivets a nice rounded finish. Got everything lined up and clamped good and started hammering away.

A few of the rivets gave us some problems...had to get a little creative and make a jig or two...but in the end she is all together.

(Berks County)

Also, I hope that your LEFT sideplates are still attached and don't need to be put back on. Mine was, but I know a lot of kits where the left plate was removed also. That will be a total pain in the ass to put back together.

I feel like an ass as it is, I traded/sold off all the special tools we had after we did the builds, now there are locals looking to build!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan
    I feel like an ass as it is, I traded/sold off all the special tools we had after we did the builds, now there are locals looking to build!
    Ive got a REALLY nice set of tools for this on indefinite loan, but cant find a machinist to copy them for me. Most want ya to order like 200 pieces to even consider doing it. I suppose I cant blame them since they have all the tools and knowledge to do it, but still it would be nice if there is a PA member here with such tools *hint hint* that could copy these so I can get the originals back to their owners.

(Berks County)

I am by no means a machinist, wish i were.

The only real special tool we made was the old chisel turned in the lathe for beating the rivets into that nice rounded concave finish. Bought the bucking bar...and the odd pieces we needed were scrap from the shop. Sent the internals out for the machine work.

Have you been on www.1919a4.com for build tips?

(Lancaster County)

yup and oddly enough lol www.cetmerifles.com has a pretty decent tutorial there as well.

(Luzerne County)

i have done 4 and have all the tooling.

let me know if you need assistance