Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zombie sidearm (part deux): FNP-45 Tactical or USP Tactical?

Hey fellas,

Been working on finding a zombie sidearm for the past few weeks, and I've narrowed my decisions down to a few pistols with your advice (advice here: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/14...-tactical.html). In particular, does anyone have experience with these 2 handguns?

1. FNP-45 Tactical: absolutely in love with everything about this gun. I especially enjoy its 15-round capacity. I've handled an FNX-9, and I just really love FN's construction and feel. I'm leaning towards purchasing this.

2. USP Tactical (in 9mm or .45acp): the USP is already established as a titan, which gives me pause when considering the FNP-45 Tac. Is the USP worlds above the FN? I've never handled one, so I was hoping you guys could help out. Having not handled a USP, I really like the FNP more (especially the capacity), but I want to make sure I don't overlook what may be the better choice.

They both seem like rugged, purpose-built, zombie-slaying machines, but I'm not sure if one or the other is *more* rugged, durable, accurate, etc.

And, for good measure, no matter what I buy from above, it will be accompanied by a Glock 19 so I have all of my zombie bases covered. Picked a 19 instead of a 17 so I could use both 19 and 17 mags. Side note: can a Glock 19 take an extended barrel?

Thanks as always guys.
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; October 2nd, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Zombie sidearm (part deux): FNP-45 Tactical or USP Tactical?

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    1. FNP-45 Tactical: absolutely in love with everything about this gun. I especially enjoy its 15-round capacity. I've handled an FNX-9, and I just really love FN's construction and feel. I'm leaning towards purchasing this.

2. USP Tactical (in 9mm or .45acp): the USP is already established as a titan, which gives me pause when considering the FNP-45 Tac. Is the USP worlds above the FN? I've never handled one, so I was hoping you guys could help out. Having not handled a USP, I really like the FNP more (especially the capacity), but I want to make sure I don't overlook what may be the better choice.
    Both of those are juggernauts of the handgun world. You can't go wrong with either one. I think it's going to come down to the one that feels better in your hands. I'm partial to the USP, but in all fairness I've never shot the FNP.

(Venango County)

Grab a quarter and toss it.......heads FN tails HK.

(Allegheny County)

Some points:

-FN holds 15, USP holds 12.
    -FN comes with night sights, but costs a few dollars more.
    -FN comes with super nice case.
    -USP has "match grade" adjustable trigger and has adjustable rear sight.
    -FN has more conventional slide release (important if the HK lever causes you issues with your grip)
    -FN has an optics mount
    -FN allows for cocked and locked. Not sure if this is one of the 9 HK fire control variants or not

I have shot some USP's and liked them, but none with a "match grade" trigger, so I cannot comment on that. I have shot the 9mm FNP, and found the trigger to be pretty close (maybe a little better) to a standard USP as far as I can tell.

I would love to shoot both and compare triggers, but either one would be great. For some reason, I am more excited about the FN.
    Stay frosty....

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post

And, for good measure, no matter what I buy from above, it will be accompanied by a Glock 19 so I have all of my zombie bases covered.

You might be better served by purchasing two identical handguns, one for practicing and backup to the other, being the zombie (cough ... cough) slayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Cumberland County)

The USP is a magnificent handgun. One of the best, IMO. Is it "world above" the FN, probably not. Today, there aren't many handguns that are worlds above another. Glock used to be top dog when it came to rugged reliability. Now, a lot of brands are making exceptional pistols just as good as Glock.

I'd choose the USP Tactical only because I already own a USP .45, I know how they operate and break down, but I certainly wouldn't turn away an FNP .45 Tactical either.

(Allegheny County)

The FNP 45 Tactical comes with the better trigger that is in their competition model.

I have the USG (non-blinged out tac version) And the trigger in that is nice already. If the tac is better than I think it would be pretty hard to beat.

I had a hard time justifying plunking the cash down for the tactical model and only spent $600 on the "normal" USG. I really like the gun. I have two gripes with it and a page and a half of things I like. Here's what I don't like.
    1911 grip angle. I like Glock's better. When I present the gun fast, I have a tendency to 'cant' the pistol instead of taking an even grip and I don't always end up in line with my arm and it slows me down. This is a training / used to - issue and most people would probably view it as a 'good' thing. I prefer Glock's angle.
    Second bitch, the bigger one. Sight height. When I present I end up staring at the hammer looking for my sights. I like Glock's low profile slide and when I end up searching for my sights... it irritates me. Normally the sight height/bore axis thing would be a larger bitch due to perceived recoil, but this gun has none. It's ridiculously soft shooting.

Everything else is great. Grip texture, ambi everything, capacity, sights, trigger, weight, looks, machining, accuracy... reliability...

The FNP brings a big bag of features and performance for your dollar. Even the tac. Where else are you going to get a gun with an integrated optic mount for $1100?

The base model, without all the extra's is also a steal for what I paid. $600 shipped. 15+1? Real pic rail. Deep, bright sights, fully ambi. Great trigger. Decock/safe/DA/SA...

It will do pretty much whatever you want. If you are used to safety off / DA trigger pull it will do it. If you like cocked and locked it will do it.

For what it costs I think its as much as a value as Glock has been for years. (Considering they are also a low cost, but great value hand gun)

But always, buy what you like best.

If I were after a "big boy" .45 in polymer I would be looking at the HK USP, the FNP 45, or the Glock 21SF. I would then send the G21SF out to OST and have them mill it out for a RDS mount. And then buy a threaded barrel, an aftermarket connector and springs... and still maybe only have $800-900 in it. If I had to do it all over?

That's what I would do. I'd give up a round to get the grip angle I like better back. Even though I think the FNP's grip is a lot narrower and manages it's space FAR better than Glock does. The slide height jerks me off. Plus I could run whatever sights I wanted. Since everything is available for Glock. Same with holsters...

I would SERIOUSLY miss the FNP's grip texture however. That stuff is harsh but so so nice in your hand! It's too close for me to call honestly. And my experience with the USP's and other HK's aren't enough to really weigh them in. I've shot them, but not enough to really say one way or another how they would end up in my decision process.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; October 2nd, 2011 at 02:02 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    The FNP 45 Tactical comes with the better trigger that is in their competition model.

I have the USG (non-blinged out tac version) And the trigger in that is nice already. If the tac is better than I think it would be pretty hard to beat.

I had a hard time justifying plunking the cash down for the tactical model and only spent $600 on the "normal" USG. I really like the gun. I have two gripes with it and a page and a half of things I like. Here's what I don't like.
    1911 grip angle. I like Glock's better. When I present the gun fast, I have a tendency to 'cant' the pistol instead of taking an even grip and I don't always end up in line with my arm and it slows me down. This is a training / used to - issue and most people would probably view it as a 'good' thing. I prefer Glock's angle.
    Second bitch, the bigger one. Sight height. When I present I end up staring at the hammer looking for my sights. I like Glock's low profile slide and when I end up searching for my sights... it irritates me. Normally the sight height/bore axis thing would be a larger bitch due to perceived recoil, but this gun has none. It's ridiculously soft shooting.

Everything else is great. Grip texture, ambi everything, capacity, sights, trigger, weight, looks, machining, accuracy... reliability...

The FNP brings a big bag of features and performance for your dollar. Even the tac. Where else are you going to get a gun with an integrated optic mount for $1100?

The base model, without all the extra's is also a steal for what I paid. $600 shipped. 15+1? Real pic rail. Deep, bright sights, fully ambi. Great trigger. Decock/safe/DA/SA...

It will do pretty much whatever you want. If you are used to safety off / DA trigger pull it will do it. If you like cocked and locked it will do it.

For what it costs I think its as much as a value as Glock has been for years. (Considering they are also a low cost, but great value hand gun)

But always, buy what you like best.

If I were after a "big boy" .45 in polymer I would be looking at the HK USP, the FNP 45, or the Glock 21SF. I would then send the G21SF out to OST and have them mill it out for a RDS mount. And then buy a threaded barrel, an aftermarket connector and springs... and still maybe only have $800-900 in it. If I had to do it all over?

That's what I would do. I'd give up a round to get the grip angle I like better back. Even though I think the FNP's grip is a lot narrower and manages it's space FAR better than Glock does. The slide height jerks me off. Plus I could run whatever sights I wanted. Since everything is available for Glock. Same with holsters...

I would SERIOUSLY miss the FNP's grip texture however. That stuff is harsh but so so nice in your hand! It's too close for me to call honestly. And my experience with the USP's and other HK's aren't enough to really weigh them in. I've shot them, but not enough to really say one way or another how they would end up in my decision process.
    You are right. LOL, your two negatives are a plus for me! 1911 grip angle and hammer. I could see how this could be irksome if you learned on the Glock, or used one as your normal shooter. For me, I constantly have to tilt my Glocks down when I present.
    Stay frosty....

(Lebanon County)

The best "proven " zombie side arm is the one(actually pair) Woody Harrelson used in the amusement park game booth.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    You are right. LOL, your two negatives are a plus for me! 1911 grip angle and hammer. I could see how this could be irksome if you learned on the Glock, or used one as your normal shooter. For me, I constantly have to tilt my Glocks down when I present.
    No, I really like having a hammer.

What I don't like is that the entire slide assembly up to the sights is a half inch taller. Its the height to sights from my hand. It makes me look in the wrong place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast