Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Home made rifle problem

I used to be an Engineer (Civil) a long time ago. Your conclusion is close enough to what happens as I understand it.

(Chester County)

I am so glad that someone dusted this old thread off. I get such a laugh out of reading the first few posts leading up to the picture, then everyones response. I haven't laughed this hard since... the last time I read this thread.

I hope muffler man is still among the living so he can tell us about this build.
    God Created Man. Sam Colt made them equal.
    FU BHO.

if i were going to build a gun... i'd start off with a .22 short...
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Beaver County)

Tail pipe Todd is back. Come on guys just cause he didn't blue it !!!!
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Shooter View Post
    I love all the comments here, look of the gun has nothing to do with safty of the gun. The primers are backing out becouse the cases are empty, if you want to fire primed only cases you should drill out the hole in the case, like you do for rubber bullets. This is not a "pass" on having it checked out by a good local gunsmith (if there is such a thing).
    Yeah, your wrong. It shouldn't matter if the cases are empty, the gun has other problems, I'm thinking excess headspace first off. Then again, at the look of the gun he could be making primers at home as well.

LOVE the mil spec rail on the top of the gun. I can tell he's a sniper!

(Bucks County)

wow this is the first i seen this one and even though i give the guy credit for building it himself .I have to agree with most doesnt look safe and i have never laughed this hard on any thread on this site to date .I hope he is ok .and any more updates with it yet .

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by digdug18 View Post
    Yeah, your wrong. It shouldn't matter if the cases are empty, the gun has other problems, I'm thinking excess headspace first off. Then again, at the look of the gun he could be making primers at home as well.

LOVE the mil spec rail on the top of the gun. I can tell he's a sniper!
    Wow, interesting to see this thread back, I'm not commenting on the safety of this gun in any way, but Old Shooter is correct.

In a chamber with correct headspace, primers will still back out and be raised above the case head if fired with only a primer. That alone is not a sign of excess headspace.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Patriot View Post
    Wow, interesting to see this thread back, I'm not commenting on the safety of this gun in any way, but Old Shooter is correct.

In a chamber with correct headspace, primers will still back out and be raised above the case head if fired with only a primer. That alone is not a sign of excess headspace.
    Indeed, Shooter Patriot is correct. Try it yourself with one of your guns. If you don't reload you can simply pull a bullet and dump the powder from a loaded round and fire the primer. Unless it's crimped in it will most likely back out of the pocket a little bit.
    When a round is fired the first thing that happens is the primer backs out of the pocket as far as the headspace allows then the pressure that pushes the bullet through the barrel also pushes the case against the bolt face reseating the primer.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Montgomery County)

Interesting design, I see how the trigger works, the hammer is sticking up out of the "stock" and that nipple is the firing pin but I haven't figured out for sure how it loads, I would guess the back cap unscrews or unlocks somehow allowing a shell to be inserted?

Also, that looks to be a BIG gun, if the LOP is average that things like 5' long with a heavy barrel and has a huge chamber for something stout like a 50BMG. I have contemplated building my own firearms on occasion but I would most certainly start with less energy, 22lr would likely be my starting point if I wasn't using commercially made parts. Seriously have that checked over by a competent smith and tie that beast to a tire for the first few dozen rounds even if its given a clean bill of health, strings cheap, faces are priceless. Bravo if it works, best of luck to you.

Given the fiscal cliffhanger we just survived, the increasing energy against the 2A and post-holiday hangovers/depressions/exhaustion it seems we might need a good laugh.

Ergo I present a classic thread for our mutual enjoyment.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast