Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Different views from other states...

...living right on the PA/OH line I have to admit that the views of carrying a gun are unbelievably different between here and there....its also evident on the internet...I run across a lot of folks who are sold on the mandatory class/training in ohio to be able to carry as well as many that agree on notifying a LEO of having a weapon in the car...Now the newest is the excitement of them being able to carry in a place that serves alcohol even though they cant consume alcohol(touchy to some here in PA Im sure)...I also see that more are into the CC route and feel that its "best" that way...Granted this is small considering Im only one person but im still amazed at the differing view points...Any thoughts as to why?...
    Glock 27 Glock 22

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Different views from other states...

IMO Pobably just a matter of what you are used to.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

You are aware that Ohio is an open carry state, right? In fact, they finally got concealed carry licenses just a few years ago specifically because their state's supreme court ruled that the state constitution guranateed a right to keep and bear arms. Ergo, if the legislature chose to prohibit concealed carry, the only way people could exercise their RKBA was to carry openly.

This led to a series of open carry days (sound familiar, Philadelphians?), which got enough people and enough legislators upset that the legislature finally enacted concealed carry legislation. I suspect the differing attitude is that Ohioans have had open carry for quite some time but had to fight to get concealed carry, so now that they have it ... they want to use it. PA has had licensed concealed carry for a lot longer than Ohio, but also gets more "pushback" from the police on open carry, so in PA the tendency is to use open carry to establish its legality/legitimacy.

(Mercer County)

Yes I do know its an OC state..but good point on the CC part cuz I didnt think of that..I live just a stone throw away from Youngstown,OH which at one time was the murder capital of the world per capita..I see the Philly stance on here but dont see it locally in OH...
    Glock 27 Glock 22

I think it's mostly timing. Pennsylvania has about a 15 year head start on shall-issue carry. By the time it was enacted in Ohio (2004 I think), the Brady Campaign and VPC had their propaganda machines in high gear. They are still scared of things that we know (from long experience) won't happen. "Blood in the streets" and "shootouts at Miss Kitty's saloon" still scares people there -- here it's mostly limited to Philly politicians.

(Lehigh County)

Why? well; "... accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."