Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Student Film Project... S. Philly

I'm current seeking my bachelors in cinematography. I've been working in TV and Film for about 5 years now with a technical degree... Anyway, for my film project this semester I was ask to do a documentary on a controversial topic and to find my inspiration from a local paper... The fairly recent headline of the Temple student who returned fire on his attacker caught my eye and I thought to do mine on the positive aspects of concealed carry by a licensed citizen.

I am an avid concealed carrier and friends of mine are as well but are sort of camera shy and didn't really want to be a part of my project.

I was curious if anyone in the South Philly area would be interested? The project calls for a 3 minute documentary so I wouldn't need a lot of anyone's time... I figured I'd have better luck here and since it's such a short project, I wanted to seek South Philly people since that's where I live and plan on shooting the project and since it was short I didn't want to burden anyone interested with driving a whole lot.

I'm kinda leaning toward using clean cut people for the interviews... I don't have anything against people with tattoos, but I'm trying to gear my project toward bringing a new light to those on the fence about guns. I'm covered in tattoos and I dress sloppy but I feel like tattoos, sloppy dress and guns don't appeal to people really lol. Hopefully nobody gets offended by that... I mean no disrespect.

I don't have questions worked out yet, I have to work on that this weekend and coming week, but I'm looking to film by next Saturday the 8th if it's possible. I have to have a rough cut done that Tuesday. I have my shots framed up to app ear like sketchy areas, but they're not, they just appear that way framed up. The places I'm filming are in the alley behind Wharton St and American St in-between Moyamenseng and 2nd Street, inside the parking garage off Front and by the abandoned building behind the Pepboys.

If anyone is interested please let me know here or through PM!

Thanks so much!!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Student Film Project... S. Philly

Good for you!

My daughter just got her film degree from Temple and did a lot of local filming, some of which I helped with, so I can sorta relate.

Let us know if it hits YouTube.

Good Luck!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    Good for you!

My daughter just got her film degree from Temple and did a lot of local filming, some of which I helped with, so I can sorta relate.

Let us know if it hits YouTube.

Good Luck!
    Thats awesome! Does she have a website or anything, mine is www.BurkePushman.com. It's always great to network with people in the industry, especially in the city since theres a pretty tight network of film professionals. So far I've got one response so I may have to dig a bit deeper for another person or two. I'll definitely give everyone a heads up when it's done!

(Philadelphia County)

I'm running for Sheriff of Philadelphia and your film sounds interesting. Shoot me an email to discuss it. When is your project due?

Thanks
    Josh West

www.westforsheriff.com
    contact@westforsheriff.com

Quote Originally Posted by NonLinearEdits View Post
    I am an avid concealed carrier and friends of mine are as well but are sort of camera shy and didn't really want to be a part of my project.
    Why not do obscured interviews, with their voices scrambled and their faces above-screen or digitalized?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_West View Post
    I'm running for Sheriff of Philadelphia and your film sounds interesting. Shoot me an email to discuss it. When is your project due?

Thanks
    Josh West

www.westforsheriff.com
    contact@westforsheriff.com
    Hey, sorry for the late response... I couldn't find enough people to satisfy my requirements for class in time so I had to drop this topic and switch to another. Thanks so much for offereing! I should have posted up sooner but my project was assigned to me real last minute. (btw any member of the PAFOA has my vote!)

Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Why not do obscured interviews, with their voices scrambled and their faces above-screen or digitalized?
    I can't mosaic their face or shadow it because my instructor is grading partially on ability to correctly set up a 3-point lighting system unfortunately, I think the mosaic or shadowed faces would have looked real good and it fits in with the topic of being concealed...

I'm actually considering doing this maybe as an actual documentary this coming spring outside of class... I think it would be real cool to get something going like that. Maybe I can figure out some kind of branding agreement with PAFOA and use it as a promotional video

(Philadelphia County)

You might want to check out "Temple University - Students & Alumni for the 2nd Amendment" on facebook..

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/173492092663420/

(Philadelphia County)

id be happy to help.

a fairly clean cut kid from northern va who moved to philly years ago to attend college at st joes, where i got my degree in internationaly relations.

after graduating, a few years after in fact, i caught the gun bug, and have become an avid shooter, even recently competing in IDPA. i also recently picked up my license to carry and have been toting around the kahr cw9.

i'd be happy to help, let me know

(Delaware County)

I'd be willing to come and help you out. I know a fair amount about the gun laws in this state, and I always love seeing people pursuing cinematography as it's a hobby of mine as well, to a degree. The fact that it's about firearms is even better! I'd be willing to donate a little time.

Shoot me a PM and give me some more details!