Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default wHAT is the General Opinion on Taurus new pistol?

What is the General Opinion of Taurus new pistols? In the past Taurus use to make fair to poor guns. 3 out of the 5 Taurus I bought I traded or sold because of poor reliability or poor design, the last 2 have been pretty good guns.

Now they have improved there revolvers and when they copied a proven design from Beretta the PT92/99 family its always been strong sell for them. Now they have there new revolvers and auto pistols. I haven't bought a new revolvers from them in a while but they seem to get good reviews. The last Taurus revolver I bought was a 2002 85h (38spl hammer-less snub nose) that was a good solid gun. The last auto pistol was a 2nd Gen 24/7 (not the Glock trigger take down one I wish) and it is a pretty good gun. I have handled the 800 series and they are probably better then the 24/7s that I am impressed with. These guns keep getting better and better the 800 series has the walther reset trigger making for a very quick SA and even DA trigger. These guns are accurate and well made Taurus seem to have really improved there QC and it showing in there end products.

Not to mentioned there quality for the money and made feature packed PT1911s.

What is your opinion of the NEW TAURUS guns?
    Last edited by Neko456; September 30th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: wHAT is the General Opinion on Taurus new pistol?

I am awaiting a pistol permit to go purchase the PT 1911 as we speak! I hear it's a really nice gun...
    SECONDS matter when the Police are MINUTES away!

I think their engineering and design is good enough to go on with but the quality control at their Brazilian and Argentinian production facilities need help in a big way. No manufacturer should ever let guns like the TCP out of their factory when, (if their QC was doing its job) they would know that an absurdly high number of them choke consistently and some just fail to fire altogether. I don't know what the actual return rate of the TCP is, but nothing would surprise me to hear that it's shockingly high, >20%

Like I said, I think the design is there and the CS is there too, but I think that if they want to become a really good manufacturer, their Quality Control is going to have to rise several orders of magnitude.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Dude, you know how I feel about Taurus, especially the one's that have been built from now to back three or four years.
    Last edited by harold63; September 30th, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

The 800 series pistols sell well and have a good reputation. The 1911's have been doing okay too. The revolvers are very good now and big sellers.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Montgomery County)

I don't know about the pistols. But the Revolvers I have to give a big thumbs up for in my experience.

Long story short, I was talking with a man who has been shooting for over 50 years. He was telling me about how a friend of his does trigger jobs on Colt Pythons and the work he does is amazing. The trigger feel is incredible that he puts into those Pythons for competition double-action shooting. But he personally always preffered Smiths like mine, as he nodded towards my 1993 Taurus 689 sitting on the bench. I interrupted him and told him "That's not a Smith, It's a Taurus." he said "Oh no, It's a Smith. Trust me. Open it up and it's a Smith on the inside, no matter what it says on the outside."

Take that for what you will. I have nothing but great things to say about my Taurus and it's done nothing but shoot accurately and reliably since I bought it, even after I took a hammer to the cylinder. That revolver is rock solid.

Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post

even after I took a hammer to the cylinder.
    Uh...What was that about? I took a hammer to my wife's cell phone once, but never (never, never, never) my cylinder.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Uh...What was that about? I took a hammer to my wife's cell phone once, but never (never, never, never) my cylinder.
    I hand-loaded a round of ammunition and skipped the whole powder charging step. Doh! Afterwords I had sort of a blonde moment and decided the best way to get the round from being stuck in between the cylinder and barrel was to hammer the cylinder (covered with a cloth). The whole rod down through the muzzle idea didn't hit me until afterwords. Doh!

The on Taurus revolver I have is a 2 in .327 that is a pocket rocket. When I got it all I could get for ammo was .32 mags and they shot great. Now I have some .327's and they are a handfull to shoot. They work.

(Monroe County)

I have 6 Taurus begining with a little model 85 ultralite in 1996, i'm still waiting for one to break.

Right now i have my Pt1911 strapped on cocked and lock ready to roll. JUst an awesome gun and i have a 1911 stainless on layaway. cant wait to get it.

But i agree with the other posters above, where Taurus comes up short is in Quality control, not R&D and materials.

Nyman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast